We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats the name of this after dinner Liquor served w Biscotti

philadelphia
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Whats the name of this after dinner Liquor served w Biscotti

We drank it with Biscotti after dinner at Il Latini in Florence.. Anyone know the name? It's sweet like an amaretto.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2mg2ybc.jpg

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,733 reviews
from US$113.70*
Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan...
1,321 reviews
from US$123.80*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,093 reviews
from US$113.70*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
301 reviews
from US$101.00*
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats the name of this after dinner Liquor served w Biscotti

It's not a liqueur; it's a sweet dessert wine called vin santo.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats the name of this after dinner Liquor served w Biscotti

Perfect - Thank you! Now to try to find it around here.. :)

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats the name of this after dinner Liquor served w Biscotti

In PA, the Pennsylvania LCB says it has Avignonesi Vin Santo di Montepulciano. A bit pricey, though, at $ 169.49 a half-bottle.

If you look at www.wine-searcher.com, there are quite a few places in NY with Vin Santo del Chianti (Classico). They run around $ 45 a half-bottle.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,297 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats the name of this after dinner Liquor served w Biscotti

www.avignonesi.it/ita-distribuzione.htm

Oooh, that's a nice wine, Zerlina, arguably too nice to dunk biscotti in! (I buy cheap stuff from PAM for Euros 5 for that purpose.) The link above takes you to Avignonesi's direct distributors within the US so perhaps check out prices with them too? If you like a rich creamy merlot, maybe order a bottle of their Desidero. And their Cortona Sauvignon Blanc makes the most delicious aperitive.

Italy & USA
Level Contributor
3 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats the name of this after dinner Liquor served w Biscotti

Vin Santo

6. Re: Whats the name of this after dinner Liquor served w Biscotti

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 November 2011, 14:35
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Whats the name of this after dinner Liquor served w Biscotti

You can find various brands of Vin Santo here in the US at your better liquor stores. Here in CA, even my grocery store sells one label.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,498 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whats the name of this after dinner Liquor served w Biscotti

When I was last in Venice, I had a lovely meal in a classy restaurant. At the end of the meal they placed a bottle of Vin Santo and one of Limoncello on the table with the compliments of the house. Suffice it to say that there wasn't much of the vin santo left when I departed. Now, if only I could remember the name of the restaurant :)

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,297 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whats the name of this after dinner Liquor served w Biscotti

I'm sure there are exceptions but in my experience (and this includes a couple of my own local favourites) the vin santo restauranteurs offer gratis at the end of a meal is invariably a bit rough. If your budget permits, you're far better off ordering a dessert wine off the menu, many of which are quite sublime.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,498 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whats the name of this after dinner Liquor served w Biscotti

Yeah, but I'm a bit rough too. I wouldn't normallly drink dessert wine (already sweet enough :) but I thought it would be rude to refuse.