We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence, Tuscany and then Paris for a few days?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Florence, Tuscany and then Paris for a few days?

We are headed to Florence/Tuscany next year and are hoping to spend about 3 days in Florence and 7 days in various towns throughout Tuscany (renting a villa for a home base and driving around). My husband would love to spend a few days on the way home (to the US) with a quick stop over in Paris. I realize that it is a very short time to see the city (I've been before but he hasn't) but we don't have any additional vacation time available.

I haven't been to Paris and Italy for years, so for those that have more recent knowledge, is it crazy to try and plan a return trip home through Paris for a few days (likely leaving Florence on a Friday and then leaving Paris on a Monday)?

Thanks very much!

Piacenza, Italy
Level Contributor
652 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence, Tuscany and then Paris for a few days?

I assume you would go by plane to Paris and then you'll fly back home from there, right? So you'll have about 2- 2 1/2 days there. It's few, that's sure, Paris has so much to offer that you need much more time. I've been there at least once a year recently and I still have things to see, lol! On the other side there are also lots of people who go to Paris for a weekend only. Much depends on you, on your way of travelling, on how quick you are and on what you want to see in a place (outdoor, indoor, museums...). In my opinion, it's possible to do that but you have to plan it very well so that you don't loose time in Paris. Be aware that you won't see all, be ready to walk a lot and you'll have a nice weekend in Paris. My suggestion is to go: you're coming from far, you don't have any extra holiday time time... considering that, a quick visit is better than nothing in my opinion.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
20 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence, Tuscany and then Paris for a few days?

I'm sure it's worth the trouble! Probably in two days it is more recommendable not to visit many museums; I suggest you to walk around and take the subway to move quicker. I strongly suggest you to book an hotel in the center, in one arrondissement from 1st to 11th. Montmartre is very romantic, but inconvenient at the same time for the distance from the other sights. Good luck!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,660 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence, Tuscany and then Paris for a few days?

Fly Pisa to Paris www.easyjet.com

Accommodation www.venere.com www.parisinfo.com

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence, Tuscany and then Paris for a few days?

You'd have at best 2.5 days in Paris. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but if you decide to, book your transatlantic flight into Italy and out of Paris (called multiple city or multiple destination on booking sites) and fly as suggested with a budget airline from Italy to Paris.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
87 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence, Tuscany and then Paris for a few days?

In the circumstances you describe I would stop in Paris. 2.5 days is enough for a 'sampler'. Just recognize that you will not do everything you want to and plan enough down time in all three places that you enjoy the places and don't spend all your time seeing the sites--and plan to return!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
753 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Florence, Tuscany and then Paris for a few days?

Go.

As others have suggested:

- get an open-jaw ticket from the US - into Italy and out of Paris, with a low cost airfare from Italy (Tuscany) to Paris

- plan to do just a few key things in Paris.

You never know how long it will be until you can return.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florence, Tuscany and then Paris for a few days?

My husband and I have done at least one overseas trip every year for the last ten years or so. We always comment on the fact that we feel like the time is always much longer when travelling because we pack so much in. I would always include a city if there's a chance we may not have the opportunity in the future. My only concern is that the airport isn't close to Paris so would consider the cost and time getting from the airport and back for a short stay. If you're prepared for that you'll have 2 1/2 days packed with memories.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
560 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Florence, Tuscany and then Paris for a few days?

In my view, Paris is, in many ways, similar to Rome. Why not try and work on your husband to suggest going not to Paris for that time, but to Rome... and then get him to agree to 7-10 days just in Paris next year?!?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
290 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Florence, Tuscany and then Paris for a few days?

A flight from Florence to Paris takes just under 1.5 hours so it is very doable. There are a lot of flights during the day so you could get an early flight out of Florence and still have a nice long weekend in Paris.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Florence, Tuscany and then Paris for a few days?

Thank you all so much for the excellent advice. I think we will try to take a local flight from Italy and spend 2-3 days in Paris on the way home. It isn't much time, but sounds like it is worth it. Thanks again!!!