We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Advice

New Jersey
Level Contributor
139 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Advice

Hello. I wanted everyone's opinion on some excursions. I don't know why but I seem to always feel more comfortable with an excursion when I am somewhere I have never been before. Anyway...here goes....

Arrive March 17in Florence in early am. Tour city

March 18th Florence : Museum

March 19th****This is the day I would like to go to Venice by train. Do you think it is better to take a guided tour/ or bus ?

March 20...travel by train to get to Rome...stay in Rome .

March 21 Rome Tour city

March 22 Rome Tour city

March 23**** would like to go to Pompeii and Almafi Coast (this is another place I am thinking of an excursion).

March 24 Depart.

I know this is probably exhausting but I am a high energy traveler and all of these places are on my bucket list. I would appreciate any info. on excursions to Venice, and Pompeii. Also any train info. (company) to get to and from each place. Last question, I have AAA....do you think it might be worthwhile for them to help me plan the liguistics. Hotels and air are already booked.

Thanks so much!

Walkabout Florence Tours
Day Trips, Food Tours, Cooking Classes, Sightseeing Tours
Artviva: The Original & Best Tours Italy
Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
FlorenceTown
Bike Tours, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Cooking Classes
Fun in Tuscany
Horseback Riding Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,519 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Advice

I would say that it would be exhausting and most likely unfulfilling. Trying to stuff 3 major cities, Pompeii, and the Amalfi Coast into 7 days means you'll be spending a lot of time travelling and little time "seeing."

Oh you may "see" a lot of things, but there will be no time for REALLY seeing them or spending much time in any place.

I wouldn't consider spending less than say 3 days in Rome, Florence, or Venice.

Take some time, slow down, tast the wine; enjoy Italy, don't act like it's the Amazing Race!

You didn't say if you'd be staying a night in Venice and then going to Rome, but it's a 2 hour train trip on the AV train from Florence to Venice. Then it's about a 4 hour train ride to Rome, and none of these times include getting to the train station, getting to your hotel, checking in/out, and getting your bearings once in the next city.

You can be as "high energy" as you want, but there are only so many hours in a day. You can't speed up the transportation.

From Rome it's 90 minutes each way by train to Naples. Then you have catch the Circumvesuviana plus a bus, or a private driver, to get to the Amalfi coast.

I would strongly consider 2-3 places MAX for a 7 day trip.

Just my opinion.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26,224 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Advice

you are better off just buying a set of travel videos if you want to cover this much ground in so little time -- because you will not come away from this with any more experience than you would watching a well edited travelog

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Advice

There is a reality game show in the US called The Amazing Race. I watched one episode. It looked like the opposite of fun.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Race_(U.S._TV_series)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,883 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Advice

>> Hotels and air are already booked. <<

Joyce, a daytrip from Florence to Venice can be done (though most people here would not advise it). Venice is the last place in the world I'd want to keep looking at my watch to catch the last train back.

From Rome, Pompeii can be done as an extremely long daytrip, but not the Amalfi Coast in addition.

Can we assume you're flying out of Rome?

-- Steve

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Advice

<<I wouldn't consider spending less than say 3 days in Rome, Florence, or Venice.>>

There is no question that the longer you spend in a city, the better you will know it. You will have a better feel for its rhythms, what the residents do day to day. But most of us have limited vacation time and limited money. And given the choice between spending two days in Venice and not visiting it, I would choose spending two days there every time. Same thing with Rome. You will not be able to see all the famous sites or feel like a Roman, but in two full days you could get to see several sites and get an (incomplete) feel for what Rome is like.

Now getting to Joyce's actual question, I have to agree that a day trip to Venice would be unsatisfying. You would be spending so much time on the bus or train, getting to and from the station etc. that your time and energy for actually doing stuff would be limited.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Advice

It's only a little over two hours from Florence to Venice by direct high-speed train. It's actually quicker than the proposed day trip to Pompeii. Of course, Pompeii is an archaeological site, and Venice is a city. You surely wouldn't see all of Venice, but the trip to Pompeii is very tiring, as the site is so vast, and I don't see that the distance traveled would leave you too tired to get a satisfying glimpse of Venice.

I took my sister and her family on a much longer day trip to Venice, about the equivalent of a day trip from Rome. We did spend a lot of time on the train, and we even ate our lunch and dinner on the train, but it was a very pleasant day. My sister had never been to Europe before, and because of unexpected health problems after her return to the US, she may never be back again. She hasn't ever said that she regretted the time she spent getting to Venice on the train.

7. Re: Trip Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2013, 10:21