We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence to Siena

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Florence to Siena

Hello

My partner and I (both in our 20's) are planning on driving from Florence to Siena in March this year. Neither of us speak Italian so I am a bit anxious about navigating our way. I have also heard there is a shopping outlet centre just outside of Florence that we are hoping to stop at on the way - is this true? Can anyone please offer advise on any of the below questions:

- reputable car rental companies

- picturesque driving routes

- places to stop and eat/drink along the way

- has anyone been to the shopping outlets just outside Florence?

All suggestions are welcomed :)

Thanks very much!!

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
La Pelle
Gift & Speciality Shops
Roberta
Gift & Speciality Shops
Lo Spillo
Gift & Speciality Shops
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence to Siena

OK first and foremost please read the following article about driving regulations in Italy - it could save you getting some nasty fines:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c140065/Tusca…

As you will read, Florence and Siena are both among the many Italian cities that operate a camera enforced limited traffic zone, so you need to make sure that you plan your route and parking accordingly (there is a map of the Florence Zone in the article and Siena's zone largely covers th area inside the Medieval walls), picking up from Florence airport ensures you avoid Florence's ZTL.

Car rental - try www.autoeurope.co.uk they are a reputable broker that deals only with the major companies and seems to get better deals that the companies themselves will offer you. The Uk site seems to have better deals that the .com site too.

The SR222 is widely acknowledged to be the most scenic route and there are a number of lovely towns along the road - greve, panzano and castellina - with a selection of decent restaurants.

My personal opinion on the outlets is that they are not worth taking time out of your holiday for - think out of season and outsize. i went with my mother, sister and two teenage girls, none of us bought a thing.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Florence
Florence
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
California
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence to Siena

neither Florence or Siena are good cities to have a car in but if you want to make the drive take 222

for rental check Autoeurope

be advised of driving regulations/rules and zones in Florence and note that you will have to park outside of city center for Siena

I have used lot outside soccer arena but parking is limited

you really don't want a car while staying in Florence

don't drink and drive in Italy

if you want to drink and travel to Siena I suggest you go with a tour group

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence to Siena

I'll be staying in Florence in July (outside the ZTL zone) and am going to drive around parts of Tuscany for two days, including to Siena. I've booked a car from Florence Airport through Autoeurope.com.au. I'm planning on taking the S222 road through Chianti as others have suggested.

I don't speak Italian either. Just learn some of the key road signs before you go and be aware of the ZTL issue.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,000 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence to Siena

It is actually not that difficult navigating your way from the hire car company offices on Borgo Ognissanti in Florence out to the SS 222. I know people are going to (possibly quite rightly) chip in "it's OK for you, etc" but it isn't difficult, honest. The hire car people will guide you, the main two lane roads (le vialle) around / through Florence (including the smaller Lungarnos) are not within the ZTL. My Christmas visitors did it just fine and if they can do it, anyone can, for they have problems back home in London where they don't even have the language as a barrier. Once you're out of the city it doesn't matter if you don't speak Italian, having a GPS or rudimentary map reading skills are what counts though signposting is very good. Siena is signposted from all over Florence taking you out of the city on roads not within the limited traffic zone. There are fabulous spots - far too many to mention - to stop along the way. I'm so pleased Peggy has said what she has about the outlet stores for everyone I know in Tuscany feels the same but I've always been too afraid to say so.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Borgo
Hotel Borgo
123 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Ognissanti
Ognissanti
100 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Florence
Florence
London
London
England, UK
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,982 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence to Siena

When I was in Florence last September the city was in chaos because the city fathers had reorganised the one-way system and the pedestrianised areas in Florence. Unfortunately they had not got round to updating city maps - even the one purporting to show the city bus routes was showing old routes which the buses could no longer use. result - we saw a lot more of Florence than we had expected to when we took buses to and from Piazzale Michelangelo and to and from Fiesole.

Definitely not a city to drive around if you are not familiar whith the road layout we found.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Piazzale Michelangelo
Piazzale Michelangelo
27,205 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Florence to Siena

Don't want to repeat what's already been said here but, if you're going to have a car here in Florence, for whatever reason, that's fine! It is NOT impossible to navigate your way around the ZTL!

For the most direct route to Siena, take the "Superstrada del Palio Firenze-Siena" which begins at the traffic circle by the entrance to the A1 Autostrada "Firenze-Impruneta" (take note: the name was recently changed from "Firenze Certosa. Your maps may not reflect the new name!) This is a toll free 4 lane highway. About 60-80 minutes, depending on traffic. The scenery's ok. If you want to get off to eat or poke around, San Donato in Colle is about halfway and pretty. Continue and exit at Siena NORD and follow the signs to the STADIO. If you pay attention, you won't go anywhere near the ZTL. Park in the stadium parking lot and walk 5 minutes to the center.

For more and better scenery and the (almost) full Chiant experience, take the Ss222. Getting on it from the center is Florence is just a little tricky, but hey - I do it all the time!

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Firenze Suite
Firenze Suite
326 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Autostrada
Autostrada
1 Review
Florence, Italy
Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florence to Siena

Hi. Went to The Mall in October with traveling companions who are great shoppers. No one bought a thing and we later wished we hadn't spent the time. Enjoyed the shopping in Florence, Siena and Arezzo a lot. BTW Siena is the opposite direction from Florence than the outlet malls. My advice is skip them.n

Mentioned in this post
The Mall
The Mall
1,493 Reviews
Leccio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Arezzo
Arezzo
Province of Arezzo, Italy
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Florence to Siena

For what it's worth, a very fashionista friend of ours comes from New York every year and makes a killing at the Barberino Outlet Village. Also, I know plenty of folks here in Tuscany who shop the outlets and are happy to say so! Vive la difference!

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Florence to Siena

Thanks so much everyone for your advice, it is much appriciated :)

10. Re: Florence to Siena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2013, 10:24