We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huge increase in airfare taxes?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Huge increase in airfare taxes?

I'm traveling from the west coast of the US in October to Florence for a vacation, and I started watching airfare prices about a year ago to get some idea of what to expect.

The last time I printed out a sample itinerary was in probably late summer -- Delta was showing a base price RT of $929 plus $91 taxes and fees.

This last month I've been watching and I printed out the exact same itinerary which now shows a base price of $883 with $584 taxes and fees!

I don't get to travel that often, and don't read the news every day, but I'm feeling pretty shocked and wondered what in the world happened to cause that kind of fee increase...and is it a permanent situation? If it is, that's a nasty jolt to my budget for the trip.

Probably there are more experienced travelers on this forum who can clue me in about this, or at least I'm hoping so. I can always call Delta, but I feel like a get the real skinny here. Thanks.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Huge increase in airfare taxes?

I think what you are seeing is a result of this:

washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/airlines…

Now all extra fees must be shown up front.

A large portion of your fee is the "International surcharge".

Here is an explanation of Delta's taxes and fees:

delta.com/planning_reservations/…index.jsp

Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Huge increase in airfare taxes?

I had seen the article about the upcoming requirement to disclose everything...what shocked me was the difference in taxes/fees between last summer and today. I have the actual itinerary from Delta from last summer showing only $91 in fees/taxes which now list as over $500 in fees/taxes.

I appreciate the Delta link....indeed it appears the bulk of this increase lies in the international fees/taxes. Still it's quite an increase from 6 months ago or so, and I guess I'm just in sticker shock. Thanks for your reply, it was helpful.

Philadelphia, USA
Level Contributor
382 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Huge increase in airfare taxes?

I think the fees were always there to some extent, but hidden. Lots of websites have a much lower fare until you click on "taxes and fees." Like we are idiots.

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Huge increase in airfare taxes?

At first I thought you might be Canadian - our air taxes are horrendous. A large tax (at least for Cdns.) hit is for the fuel surcharge. This week Air Canada had a special to London, Heathrow. Cost was $224.00 - return. With taxes, close to $900.00.

An Air Canada Economy Points seat to Edinburgh - 60,000 points would cost nearly $700 in taxes. My husband has a meeting in June - I won't be going. Instead I have my points seat to Italy - with lots of taxes.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,086 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Huge increase in airfare taxes?

the taxes have not increased much -- the difference is in how they are displayed -- that 90$ or whatever was not the sole extent of taxes last time, just some categories. The new rules mean all of the taxes have to be included and displayed.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,884 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Huge increase in airfare taxes?

I don't see what this has to do with FLORENCE! Why don't you put this sort of thing in the air travel forum? tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Huge increase in airfare taxes?

I don't see how this new disclosure rule explains the large increase in fares INCLUDING taxes. You always get a total when you purchase a ticket and the total fare is much, much higher than it was last year and I still don't understand the reason why. Looks like the base fare is the same, but the taxes are much higher. So what's up with that???

NY
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Huge increase in airfare taxes?

This is not always easy to get an explanation as we have seen. In spite of supposed to show all up front, my experience is some sites still don't do it until you select the flight and then you get the shock including taxes and fees (oh, you want to use the lav when you are up there?). Also, while the trend in total price is up, the price can vary depending on when you look, how close to the flight date, etc.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Huge increase in airfare taxes?

Those are not the reasons. I've been buying tickets for years. I know all the costs and how to book, etc. I've been checking fares for Italy for months now and did the same thing last year. The taxes are all up a LOT! There has got to be new taxes imposed on international flights and they are not saying what those taxes are. I always "make like I'm booking" the flight to see the total cost. That's what I'm comparing: the TOTAL cost and the breakdown showing the taxes........... Something is fishy here.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
560 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Huge increase in airfare taxes?

Hasn't the EU brought in a new rule that non-European airlines have to now buy carbon credits or something? I know that the Chinese and Russian airlines are in uproar over this...