We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Florence too hot in August?

London, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Is Florence too hot in August?

Hi,

I am meeting some friends for a long weekend in Italy in August. We are flying in to Pisa, and we are trying to avoid hiring a car to keep our budget low and therefore thought we would just spend our three days/three nights in Florence as opposed to a hotel in the countryside (with a pool).

We have all been to Florence before, and are just looking for somewhere nice to spend a few days together as we don't get to see each other often.

I am just a bit worried that it will be a bit too hot to enjoy sightseeing in August? Does anyone have a view?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Florence too hot in August?

I'd opt for a hotel in the country, if possible with a pool. You can look for hotels in Greve and Castellina, where you can get to by bus. If nothing else, they're higher up (Florence sits in a bowl), there aren't as many stone palazzi around radiating out heat, and you can actually get to the edge of the town for some air.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Florence too hot in August?

The weather in Florence in August is usually very unpleasant (hot and humid)

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Florence too hot in August?

Yup. But you could always stay at Fattoria di Maiano, minutes (via bus, if the bus runs on time) to the center of Florence. Which means you could hang by the pool if unbearably hot, eat there (or at Osvaldo "down" the street) ... it's a bit of a walk from the fattoria to the bus stop: by day, not at all a big deal. At night, it would be an inexpensive taxi ride (www.fattoriadimaiano.com).

You could also do the same thing at Relais Villa l'Olmo (www.relaisfarmholidays.it).

Please don't let the heat keep you away from Florence! Also know that hotel rates in the center of Florence (skipping a couple of 5-star hotels) tend to drop in August. Check out the Villa Medici and the Grand Hotel Minerva, both of which have pools. And they're in the center.

On the other hand, you could stay at Fattoria Migliarino, just outside Pisa, with a pool, and quick access to the sea, and Lucca, and other fun things to do (www.fattoriamigliarino.it). Here, however, you would need a car.

Hope this helps!

California
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Florence too hot in August?

I love Florence but in August I might consider heading to the coast.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
31 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Florence too hot in August?

I also recommend the coast or a hotel with a pool. How sensitive are you to the heat?

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Florence too hot in August?

I'll go along with those recommending that you find somewhere on the coast. Florence can be unbearable in August, it's not just the heat but the terrible humidity. Even if you have a hotel with a pool in which to cool off, walking around the city can be most unpleasant.

And this is coming from someone who adores the city! I've booked a week on Lake Como for the first week in August and was asked if I wanted to tag on a few days in Florence - it took next to no time for me to say no.

Cumming, GA
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Florence too hot in August?

I guess my trip to Florence in August 2007 was the exception. It wasn't that hot. One day we had a short rain storm and afterwards it was so chilly we bought sweatshirts to stay warm. Personally, I'd stay in Florence, but I just prefer staying in the heart of the city.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Florence too hot in August?

I prefer Florence in August than anywhere on the coast for the main reason that Florence clears out in august and is surprisingly pleasantly empty - the coast on the other hand, is so jam-packed that you can't see the beach! Yes, it'll be hot, it's summer. But over the last few years July is undoubtedly a hotter month than August (as noted by some...).

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Florence too hot in August?

Well, yes , July 2010 was certainly a scorcher - at least it was when we were there. I remember reading in a newspaper that the temperature was reported as being 41 degrees, I think.

I've found that August becomes more bearable as the month nears September.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,234 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Florence too hot in August?

My first visit to Florence was in August and it was hot but tolerable. The second time was in July (not my choice, I was assisting with a school party) and it was extremely hot. Lots of sunburn problems 'despite our best efforts'.

I don't think I would go again in July - my favourite months are September, June, May and (really) December, in that order.

September 2011 was fantastic, because the summer in England had been rubbish and I really needed some sunny weather and it was marvellous.

The way our climate is changing, however, I don't think we can rely on any historical precedents to give a reliable prognosis.

Edited: 24 January 2012, 14:04