We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ghlberti Baptistry Doors on View?

Virginia
Level Contributor
53 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Ghlberti Baptistry Doors on View?

I read in an article saying that the original Ghiberti Baptistry doors normally on view in the Duomo Museum are undergoing restoration and won't be back on view until June 24, 2012. Since I'll be visiting in early April, I thought I'd check with the experts to see how accurate this is. I tried the official site of the museum (all in Italian), and although I clicked around for awhile, I didn't see Ghibert's name anywhere. Thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,734 reviews
from US$113.20*
Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan...
1,321 reviews
from US$123.20*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,093 reviews
from US$113.20*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
301 reviews
from US$100.60*
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
11,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ghlberti Baptistry Doors on View?

Google translate worked and there's nothing listed on their site: http://www.operaduomo.firenze.it/

I'm not sure if the english translation is included with the 'cut & paste', but down on the bottom right there was a 'web staff', there's an email: opera@operaduomo.firenze.it

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ghlberti Baptistry Doors on View?

There's an article here (in Italian; use Google Translate) about the restoration:

…corriere.it/firenze/notizie/arte_e_cultura/…

It seems the restoration itself will be finished by April but not installed or opened to the public in the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo before June 24. It'll probably be a "grand opening", given that June 24 is the Feast of St. John the Baptist, patron saint of Florence to whom the baptistry is dedicated.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ghlberti Baptistry Doors on View?

Translation: from : http://www.intoscana.it/

Florence: the door of Paradise shines at the Cathedral Museum (Museo del Duomo)

After the restauration the work realized by Ghiberti for the Baptistry will be on show to the public from June in a huge protective showcase.

After twenty years’ restauration work , the Door of Paradise of the Baptistry of Florence, made by Ghiberti between 1425 and 1452, will be placed next June in a new site inside the Museum of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore. This was stated by Franco Lucchesi, the curator.

"At the moment, the work, which has been taken apart in order to be submitted to restauration, is being put together again - Lucchesi explained – meanwhile the mega showcase that will permanently house the giant door, within the museum, is being constructed The date of the 23 of June , stressed Lucchesi "was chosen symbolically in that it’s the eve of the Patron Saint of Florence, Saint John. ".

The door suffered serious damage during the floods of 1966: Six panels were ripped on that occasion. From 1990 the door was replaced by a copy because of the deterioration of the surfaces caused by atmospheric pollution. At the moment the door has been entrusted to the workshops of ‘Pietre Dure’ for the restauration.

20/01/2012 from : http://www.intoscana.it/

So it will be a copy that you'll see in place at the entrance to the Baptistry. I bet most people that have seen it since 1990 weren't even aware that it was a copy !

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ghlberti Baptistry Doors on View?

sorry - couple of words missed out : ' it will be the eve of the Feast of the Patron Saint of Florence..... '

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,292 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ghlberti Baptistry Doors on View?

I had the priviledge of working with three of the Panels that toured the US last year. They look fabulous after the restoration! Anyone who gets a chance to see these masterpieces when they are unvieled in Museo dell'Opera will be able to view them in the glorious condition they were in when they were commisioned. I learned that not only the Florentine weather and pollution affected their condition, but also the local populace. Even in the Rennaisance people used to try and scale the doors by using the panels as footholds!

Virginia
Level Contributor
53 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ghlberti Baptistry Doors on View?

Darn, I guess we'll be before the "grand opening." Thanks for the info.

7. Re: Ghlberti Baptistry Doors on View?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2013, 09:23