We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Firenze Card with Children Questions

Ohio
Level Contributor
186 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Firenze Card with Children Questions

I will be in Florence later this month and am trying to figure out whether to get the Firenze Card. I have a few questions that I cannot find answers for and am hoping someone here might know the answers.

1) What proof is needed of EU citizenship? We are EU residents, but not citizens. When in Rome last year, they accepted my French driver's license and let my kids in free to the Colisseum - wondering if that will work in Florence.

2) Can someone confirm that kids are admitted free with an adult who has the card -even if the museum normally charges for children. This makes a big difference in the value of the card. For example, the Galileo Museum normally charges 5€ for a child between 7-18. Would they just walk in with us if we use a Firenze Card?

3) Does the child still have to pay for transportation? Or do they get to ride along free with an adult with the Firenze Card? I am assuming they are not free, but it would be nice if they were.

Thanks!

Prestige Rent
Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
Tuscany Car Tours
Wine Tours & Tastings , Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
I Just Drive
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Wine Tours & Tastings , Taxis & Shuttles
ICS Italy Chauffeur Service
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,519 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Firenze Card with Children Questions

I found this :

"The only issue I can see is the price, as it can start to add up for families that are not EU citizens (EU citizens get one under 18 admission per adult card)"

I can't guarantee it, but I would imagine that your driver's licence would be acceptable (especially if you don't speak :). As you can see, it's one child per card and that child would also get the transport free. It says 'Momof3', so if there is a 'Popof3' with you, you might have to pay for the third child, or two of them if you are alone. You might find that they would be generous and usher you all through, but I certainly can't promise you that.

By the way, when did Ohio join the EU?

Ohio
Level Contributor
186 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Firenze Card with Children Questions

Not only is PopOf3 going, but Grandma & GrandpaOfMoreThan3 are coming. So, all 3 kids would have an adult to go with.

I speak the language that goes with the driver's license. My kids speak it accentless. We have residency cards, but not passports.

And you can take the girl out of Ohio, but you can't take the Ohio out of the girl. Or the girl's name in this case.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,519 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Firenze Card with Children Questions

:)

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Firenze Card with Children Questions

According to the website www.firenzecard.it, which I'm sure you've already consulted:

"Free access to museums and public transport for EU citizens under the age of 18 who are accompanying you" ("you" being the holder of a Firenzecard). Note: "citizens", not residents.

If you have further doubts, write to info@firenzecard.it

Ohio
Level Contributor
186 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Firenze Card with Children Questions

In case anyone who is researching this topic find this, I thought I'd update it with our experience.

We did not get the Firenze Card as we realized we would not go to enough museums to make it worthwhile as the kids were getting tired of museums and art by the time we hit Florence.

They seem to be enforcing the "EU Citizens" rule for free admission much stronger than last year. My driver's license didn't work at the Colosseum this year - but my husband's ID Carte did. At Pompeii the woman was asking questions, and I think when one of my kids came up to me and asked me a question in French, she just went ahead and gave us the free admission. In Florence, at the Pitti Palace, my husband showed his ID Carte and the woman told him no as it says on there that's his origin is the US. He turned to me to ask if we should purchase a lower cost ticket (we were going to get the all-in-one combo ticket, but it was too $$$ when we had to buy 5), and went to put his carte back in his wallet. The ticket seller saw his French Driver's License, and she told him that if he had just showed her that, she would have let the kids in free, and then she just gave us the kids' tickets for free.

Net, our kids got in free everywhere, but it wasn't always straightforward. (And we are paying taxes in the EU, so I don't feel like I cheated the system in anyway.)

6. Re: Firenze Card with Children Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2013, 10:23