We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment electricity charges

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
17 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Apartment electricity charges

Just back from a fabulous if freezing few days in Florence. We shared a two bedroom apartment with friends and struggled to get the temperature above approx 15 degrees C despite using the ceiling mounted air con units as heaters. We were surprised that the charge for the 3 nights electricity usage (250 units) was 69 euros. Is electricity really that expensive in Italy or did the owner make a 'mistake' in her calculations? Everything else about the trip was splendid and I'll be posting reviews soon.

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,738 reviews
from US$112.60*
Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan...
1,322 reviews
from US$122.60*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,093 reviews
from US$112.60*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
303 reviews
from US$100.10*
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment electricity charges

Yes, electricity is really that expensive in Italy. If you had the heaters going in two or possibly three rooms, 69 Euro is perfectly reasonable.

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
17 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment electricity charges

Thank you for your prompt reply - how horrendous for the people living there during these freezing conditions.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,253 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment electricity charges

Electric heat is the most expensive form of heating.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment electricity charges

We heat with gas but our most recent two-month electricity bill was €193 for 797 units.... which works out to some €60 for 250 - although, when using them at the rate you were, the price/unit climbs somewhat.... so that does indeed look about right, perhaps even not quite enough!

We had several of those heater/ac things in our initial rental apartment here, and they're a most inefficient way of using what's no doubt the dearest form of energy... but usually wouldn't needed so much?

Peter

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment electricity charges

Electricity costs a fortune here and there are no coal or natural gas deposits in Italy, so natural gas is also very costly. The hot water radiators are usually run on natural gas. That's why many agriturismi and especially true villas are closed in winter - they'd be too expensive to heat. What we all try to do in our homes is to use wood-fueled open fires as much as possible since forests are plentiful and a couple of branches produce a lot of firewood. I keep the fire in the kitchen going all day and spend most of my indoor time there. If your agriturismo offers that option, you can save money by using it.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,320 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment electricity charges

And even around the house wear multiple jumpers, perhaps a scarf, usually sit with a blanket over knees in the evening or even (on very cold days) hot water bottles! We keep the fire burning all winter long and I find keeping the shutters closed helps hugely too. Do you have uninterrupted electricity at the moment, Tuscan? And still the luxury of running water?

Edited: 08 February 2012, 09:22
Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartment electricity charges

lastraniera - yes, power has been OK so far. Water comes from my spring and is OK as long as I let it run continuously through the overflow. Otherwise it freezes because the pipe goes near the surface at one point. You're right - keep the shutters closed - that blocks a lot of heat loss.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,320 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartment electricity charges

"Under a Tuscan Sun", eh? I always tell people before they buy a place here to live permanently, rent for a winter and then decide. Though admittedly the last week has been exceptional. I dread my next Enel and Eta bill.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Apartment electricity charges

We should not confuse cost with efficiency. A reverse cycle air conditioner, aka a Heat Pump is a very efficient form of heating. It is around 300% energy efficient. To put it another way, for every 1kw of energy used, it will generate around 3kw of heat output. The extra heating is produced by cooling the outside air, removing the heat from it, and transferring it indoors. Like a refrigerator in reverse. Depending on how the electricity is generated it can also be a very clean form of heating. Certainly better than burning logs in a fireplace. If electricity as a form of energy is overpriced in Italy, that is a different matter and may force the use other sources of energy there. In other parts of the world, electricity is sold at a better price, so a heat pump is not only efficient, it is also cost effective.

10. Re: Apartment electricity charges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2013, 10:24