We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for 2 nights - *please* put me out of my misery!

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Topic
Hotel for 2 nights - *please* put me out of my misery!

Okay, so we'll be in Florence for 2 nights only - arriving by train from Venice on a Wednesday morning in mid-May, leaving very early Friday morning by train to Naples.

So we have 2 ( almost) full days in Florence and all we want to do is see Michelangelo's David, visit the graves of Michelangelo and Galileo, a trip to Pisa... and if time permits, take in a bit of the Uffizi.

I've read countless threads already :-(. I gather that staying near the train station is not necessary at all as Florence is so compact and hotels near the station, unlike in Rome, are not less expensive than others in the center ( centre).

Budget is not more than 100 euros per night for the 2 of us; will the Best Western Laurus fit the bill, so to speak? Haha !( See? I'm going mad). We will not be shopping or eating at expensive restaurants; we love to be near small cafes, trattorie where locals eat; like walking as much as we can but also like public transport ;-).

Any other hotel suggestions for someone with knee problems ( nothing major, but too many stairs will put paid to that knee sooner than later).

Grazie!

Edited: 22 February 2012, 00:18
U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for 2 nights - *please* put me out of my misery!

We certainly will not be shopping at expensive restaurants, lol.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
66 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for 2 nights - *please* put me out of my misery!

Suggest you look at the hotel delle telle which is close to the train, however it's real strength is Charlie(former US producer of the "Guiding Light" ( I think) and his desk host, Pauli; they know where to go, what to see, and where to buy. Check them out ! We had a great visit with our grandson last May.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
940 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for 2 nights - *please* put me out of my misery!

Living life- Here is your remedy- Hotel Casci. Check out the reviews here on Tripadvisor. It is a fantastic, family-owned and run hotel. I've stayed 3 times in the last 4 years, and will again this year. (It is encompassed in the buildings that used to be part of the Medici Palace.) Very affordable, and ask about their discount if you pay cash!

It is 2 minutes from the Duomo (10 minutes walk from the train station), 10 minutes to Accademia (where the "David" resides), 10-15 minutes from the Uffizi and the Ponte Vecchio. 20 mts to Santa Croce, where you will find the tombs of Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, Rossini...

I cannot give this hotel high enough praise. And the breakfast is far and away superior to most "continental" breakfasts I've had around Italy.

Please note- I highly recommend you skip a day trip to Pisa. With only two days in Florence, you will not want to leave town...trust me! This is the birthplace of the renaissance. Home to Galileo, DaVinci, Michelangelo, the Medici. You must be in the Piazza Michelangelo at sunset. There is no more magical site in the world (see my ID pic to the left. That is the Arno river at sunset.)

Please treat yourself to the whole 2 days in Florence.

PS The shopping is fabulous and the Hotel Casci is literally around the corner from the Central Market and all the shopping/cafes you can handle. :)

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
940 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for 2 nights - *please* put me out of my misery!

PS- The hotel will gladly make your museum reservations for you! Just email them after you've booked! They speak perfect English and are the most helpful people in the world. Tons of guidebooks to lend and free internet!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,496 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel for 2 nights - *please* put me out of my misery!

The Best Western you mention is in a good location but I think it is more than 100 euros per night for mid- May - have you checked their prices?

High season seems - the past number of years - to be beginning in May so prices are higher everywhere that time of year now than it used to be.

I am guessing you have already tried www.venere.com - you could see which places are available for your dates and for your budget and then read up on reviews of places that you find suitable for your needs.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,496 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel for 2 nights - *please* put me out of my misery!

Sarge56: that hotel is not 100 euros per night during the time period the OP is going to Florence.

I hadn't seen the OP's mention of going to Pisa during this short two day stay in Florence. I completely agree with Sarge56 - doing so would really give short shrift to Florence, which can't really be seen in just two days anyway.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel for 2 nights - *please* put me out of my misery!

OP did mention a trip to Pisa. He shouldn't make a day trip from Florence, but he should just drop by there on the way from Florence to Naples.

OP, you should visit Pisa only after you check out from your Florence hotel. In Pisa, you can deposit your luggage at the train station, then walk or take shuttle bus to the square, spend 1-2 hours there, then continue your journey to Naples. 2-3 hours detour won't hurt and you'll have more time in Florence.

Regarding the hotel, it's true that you don't have to stay near the train station as Florence is quite compact. The duomo is just a 10-minute walk from the station. But it all depends on how big your luggage is. I don't think you want to drag along your luggage across town. :-)

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
940 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel for 2 nights - *please* put me out of my misery!

Momcat, you are correct. It comes out to E135/night if they pay cash.

Which is, in my humble opinion, an extremely great value for this location and this hotel and this time of year...in Florence. Just sayin'...

If you have a really, really tight budget, look at the "Monestery Stays" website. Lists convents and monesteries where you can stay for usually very low prices. You get a clean bed, an ensuite or shared bath, and coffee/bread for breakfast. But they do work for people on tight budgets.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
940 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel for 2 nights - *please* put me out of my misery!

(PS If you go with convent, beware of curfew. Usually 11pm or Midnight. [Hey, the nuns want to go to bed, too. Someone has to lock up! Haha])

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel for 2 nights - *please* put me out of my misery!

Please dont waste your time going to Pisa. Really. It's one of the great disappointments of life. And the area is so overrun with street vendors trying to sell trash to tourists that any "feel" is impossible. After you spend a little time in Florence you will not be able to stand Pisa.

Really,