We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me fill my visit with activities

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
154 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Help me fill my visit with activities

My wife and I will be visiting Florence this September as part of our Italy (Venice/Florence/Rome) trip, and would greatly appreciate your assistance, guys. Below is our Florence schedule:

Wednesday: arriving from Venice [via train]

Thursday: Florence (full day)

Friday: Florence (full day)

Saturday: Florence (full day)

What time, do you think, we should plan to arrive on Wednesday? Do you think we will be too tired to do any sightseeing this day?

How should we plan our days? Please help us create a sightseeing itinerary for each day. What to see on what day and in what order? Is a side trip possible?

Obviously, we would like to visit Accademia and Uffizi Gallery. Should Bargello, Duomo, and Palazzo Vecchio be on the list too?

My understanding is that I should reserve Accademia and Uffizi in advance. How does this process work? I've read somewhere that I need to pick a specific time slot when reserving. It seems really difficult to plan time when I've never visited the city before. Please help.

sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me fill my visit with activities

It depends on the time of your arrival. If you get to Florence in the morning, just take some time to settle into your hotel and then head out outside. If you getting into the city at a later hour. Take a gentle stroll around your hotel to help you relax and get a feel for the area.

Ask your concierge to make reservations for the Uffizzi and Accademia for you if you like, or you can do so via the official site here

www.uffizi.firenze.it/en/musei/tutti.php

Look for the hours and tickets tab and click away. I like to visit in the mornings when I am feeling fresh and my brain is functioning but to each their own. Do be prepared for a madhouse at the entrance. Reservation or not, it can get crazy but the quality of the works inside make it all worthwhile.

The Bargello is fabulous, don't miss Donatello's 'David' and be sure to compare it to Michelangelo's in the Accademia.

Of course, you should visit the Duomo! Also be sure to see the jaw dropping mosaics in The Bapistry and head over to the Duomo museum when you are finished. It is never crowded and full of unexpected delights.

Cross the arno to the Pitti Palace, visit the Palatine Gallery inside. It gives you an insight into the extravagent lives of the Medici Dukes and Duchesses because it was once their private quarters and is filled with Renaissance masterpieces. Have a picnic lunch in the Boboli Gardens and take a look at Buontalenti's extraordinary Grotto. Too much excess is not enough!

Include a visit to the church of San Lorenzo with the interior designed by the Duomo architect Brunelleschi. It is a soothing, almost hypnotic environment of pale grey stone. Do not miss Fillipo Lippi's 'Annunciation' in the Martelli Chapel and check out the little red socks on the angels. The painting is uplifting and utterly luminous.

Then there is a visit to Sante Croce, a walk past the hospitale degli innocenti, Massacio at the Brancacci, window shopping on Via Tornabuoni, gelato anywhere, gazing over the city at sunset from Piazzale Michelangelo.... as you can see Forence gives the visitor so much. Take some of my suggestions, mix them up with the others you receive and create something special for yourself. Have a wonderful time.

regards

Francoise

Excusemewhereis@blogspot.com

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me fill my visit with activities

Hi!

I uploaded parts of the map of the city. Might be helpful for your planning and also to visualize what Francoise said.

…tumblr.com/post/17932455497/florenceday1

…tumblr.com/post/18247822311/florenceday2

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me fill my visit with activities

Ifyou are going to be there for three days I highly recommend that you consider purchasing the Firenza Card. It cost 50 Euros per adult but allows you free into the Uffisi, the Accademia, the Pitti Palace, Palazzo Vecchio, and all the other major museums (but not the churches) and without waiting in line or making advance reservations. You simply walk to the head of the line and show your pass and go in. The pass is good for 72 hours and to enter each establishment once , plus it is a free bus pass. It was one of most time saving hassle free purchases we made in Florence. This way you only wait in line for the Duomo, the Bapistry and the Duomo Santa Croce, which is well worth seeing, Hope this helps.

New York
Level Contributor
154 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me fill my visit with activities

Francoisebelle and Iamloquacious, thank you so much for your responses. Francoise, I don't know the time of my arrival to Florence. When do you think I should arrive? Also, I can book the train in Florence, correct?

If you could break down your recommendations by day and time of the day, how would you do it?

MikeRyherd, thank you. How would you answer the question above?

Thanks again.

Edited: 06 March 2012, 06:31
5. Re: Help me fill my visit with activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 19:40