We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train ride from Florence to Venice

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
E G
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
128 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Train ride from Florence to Venice

I am catching an 8:30 am train with my two tween on a weekday. What time do you recommend i get to the station. I have my tickets already. (BTW the Rail Europe system is very efficient, they send tix at no fee to the US. THe web site was not working so i had to call - which took forever -- but once i got through it was easy breasey .)

Also does the Florence station have a good place to buy some h20 and snacks for the ride?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train ride from Florence to Venice

I always get to a station that I am not familiar with about 20 minutes before the train departure time so I can get oriented.

Can't comment on the snacks - never bought any there but I did see there was a place just to the right when you entered the main doors that seemed to be a cafe which I also presume would sell paninis to take away. But, not sure.

Someone else will weigh in on that question. But, personally, I'd just pick up the snacks someplace in town -

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
8,975 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train ride from Florence to Venice

H20 is water, presumably? There are plenty of places to buy food and snacks. Florence SMN is quite a big station.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train ride from Florence to Venice

Lots of snacks, prices not too bad. Very busy and lots of snack seekers that time of the morning....plan your arrival accordingly. Very well-advised to get your food before getting on the train - both ways. Train food expensive and not very good.

San Jose. Ca.
Level Contributor
108 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train ride from Florence to Venice

There is also a little deli-mini-mart like store just outside at the bottom of the steps on the side of Santa Maria Novella you exit and turn right its right there you step down into it. They sell, bread, meats, wine, water, fruit etc. Make a picnic lunch

sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train ride from Florence to Venice

There is a Conad supermarket on the Via Luigi Almanni side of the station, on the ground floor. You can pick up all you need there. As you walk in, it is on your left. You should be able to save some money because the prices will be lower than the snack shops etc and will be certainly be lower than on the train.

Francoise

Excusemewhereis.blogspot.com

Philadelphia, USA
Level Contributor
382 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train ride from Florence to Venice

Francoise, just took a quick look at your blog. Love the name and it looks very useful.

sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train ride from Florence to Venice

Thanks Chris. It is a lot of hard work but so worthwhile.

Francoise

E G
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
128 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train ride from Florence to Venice

many thanks for all the helpful info

9. Re: Train ride from Florence to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:41