We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

florence for the over 70's - (surprise pressie for my...

leeds, uk
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
florence for the over 70's - (surprise pressie for my...

Hi

I have just booked my mum and dad a surprise holiday to florence, italy in May - my dad's 70 then (bless).

anyway, as they are not up for walking miles - where do you suggest as the top three sights to must see? and also, any ideas for qaulity budget / medium priced eateries very welcome (i.e. local and friendly, not fast food or rip off).

many thanks

stallanzii

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,734 reviews
from US$113.60*
Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan...
1,321 reviews
from US$123.70*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,093 reviews
from US$113.60*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
301 reviews
from US$101.00*
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,829 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: florence for the over 70's - (surprise pressie for my...

My wife and I are in our 70's; I am 75 soon. I think Florence is great for them as it is for us. A problem is that some of the major sights often involve longish queues - the Accademia (lots of fine art including the original of Michelangelo's David) and the Uffizi (by far the greatest art gallery) but you can book in advance and as U.K. OAPs they are entitled to free admission to all state owned museums etc. You may need proof and we take a photocopy of our passports around though many places do not bother - our age is probably fairly obvious!

Other great things to see - take your pick - the Pitti Palace and the Boboli Gardens behind it;the Duomo and Baptistry (the oldest building standing in Florence -4/5th Century);Santa Croce; the Fra Angelico Museum at San Marco; the Brancacci Chapel inSanta Maria del Carmine ( great Masaccio frescoes but you are rushed through quickly).

Eating - we like several places in Oltrano all well used by local Italians -

Carmine, Piazza del Carmine 18 - by May you should be able to eat dinner outside comfortably

Chingale Bianco, Borgo San Jacopo. Old established and the do serve Wild Boar. Very busy and hopeless to book, even then you will be in a queue, but even more hopeless if you do not book

Celestino, Piazza S. Felicita. Quiet, good food, but a fraction more expensive than the other two.

leeds, uk
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: florence for the over 70's - (surprise pressie for my...

Hi Robert

Thank you so much for the advice - really helpful

Stallanzii