We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito's May?

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquito's May?

Hi, we are well travelled in Venice and used to covering ourselves in Jungle Formula ;-) but having a change this year and spending my 50th in Florence in May. Our Hotel is near the Arno. Mosquito's rife or not? will I be smelling of lovely perfume on my birthday or mozzie formula?!!! ;-(

UK
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mosquito's May?

luluh - we have found the plug in repellent sold by Boots to be very effective, always take them with us.

boots.com/en/…

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,135 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mosquito's May?

I've always found the plug in repellents great, but as said I leave them on day and night and change the tab every 12 hours, got mine from Amazon and would not be without it.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Mosquito's May?

The plug-in units with the cardboard tabs seem to have been replaced by the versions with a small reservoir of repellent. These run for weeks without need of a change.

Deerfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Mosquito's May?

my daughter is there now and she has been complaining for weeks about how terrible the mosquitos are! we will be visiting in 2 weeks and are planning on bringing Avon Skin So Soft and something with DEET as a back up.

15. Re: Mosquito's May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 April 2012, 03:27
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,478 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Mosquito's May?

Almost everyone I know has screens on at least their bedroom windows, living in the countryside you'd be driven crazy by bugs in the summer without them. We use a combination of the plug in devices that Tuscan describes (from the Coop), citronella candles in some rooms and in places where they're really bad such as our garden room / loggia something called Vape Spirali. These are spiral things that you light the end of and burn, they give off a powerful scent that's not unpleasant. They kill everything that creeps or flies within a 10 yard radius.

Edited: 06 April 2012, 12:05
Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,135 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Mosquito's May?

Yes Tuscan, I had one of those with the liqiud that I bought in Jesolo years ago it was great, but I unfortunately left it in a hotel in Athens. I will certainly look out for them on my next trip. One advantage with the tabs is that there is no problem getting them through airport security, rather than with a liquid

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Mosquito's May?

I just wanted to warn other travelers that I experienced terrible mosquito bites in Florence in mid-October, 2012. I almost never get bit, but have left Florence with 17 bites on my face alone. I stayed at a hotel near the train station that has excellent reviews on this site. Like many hotels in Italy, the windows are wooden slats rather than screens, so there is no way to keep the bugs out. I was bit while I slept, and also while in the shower. I wish someone had warned me that zanzare can still be a real problem in the fall.

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
19 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Mosquito's May?

Just back from Florence and I really thought I'd be okay in October!

But I got about 10 bites mainly on my arms and I'm now on antibiotics as they went massive and infected. I stayed in a hotel near the river at the Hotel Berchielli, so be warned they are about.

UK
Level Contributor
378 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Mosquito's May?

Once bitten, the best cure I've found for mozzie bites is to rub some lemon juice on them as soon as possible, and again about a couple of hours later - it's more effective than creams and potions bought at the pharmacy and it keeps the things away for a while.

Vinegar, being acid, would probably work as well if applied, but the smell of lemons is nicer than that of vinegar.