We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in San Casciano - going to Florence Day Trips

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
268 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in San Casciano - going to Florence Day Trips

Hi, we are in San Casciano now - and would like to go to Florence day trip.

We have a car but are uncertain as to drive into Florence - if so where to park ( costs) and how to get to the city centre.

Ourside of our door there is a bus stop but we are unsure if we should take the bus in ( 4 Adults) what time they run, or which one leaving around 9:30/10 in the morning. The bus number, where to get off and how much it costs.

I would appreciate thoughts on this including direct information,,thanks W

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in San Casciano - going to Florence Day Trips

Don't even think about driving into Florence the limited traffic zone is hard to avoid and the fines for straying into it are huge.

Bus timetables connecting San Casciano to Florence:

http://www.acvbus.it/orari/368.pdf

http://www.acvbus.it/orari/370.pdf

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
268 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in San Casciano - going to Florence Day Trips

thank you., Am I reading it correctly - it looks like the 370 & the 371 leaves here at 9:35 AM / 9:55 Am. ?? thx

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in San Casciano - going to Florence Day Trips

No, either the 368 or 370 leave at 9.05 and arrive in Florence at 9.40

Edited: 03 April 2012, 21:38
west barnstable...
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in San Casciano - going to Florence Day Trips

Take the bus. You don't want or need a car in Florence. The historical center is very compact and walkable.

Greve in Chianti...
Level Contributor
571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in San Casciano - going to Florence Day Trips

Take the bus if you like, but the "don't drive in Florence under pain of death" thing is pure fiddlefaddle. It is not necessary to fear the ZTL if you keep your eyes open, and if you're driving I'm thinking you'll probably be keeping them open most of the time. From San Casciano, take the Firenze-Siena highway to Florence. The highway ends at the roundabout which is the A1 connector - enter the roundabout and take the second exit. This will take you into the city. At "Due Strade" be careful to not go straight up the hill (you will have to have your eyes closed to not see the signs marking this as ZTL). Instead, bear right. At the 2nd traffic light turn left. Down the hill to Porta Romana. Inside Porta Romana you will find a public parking lot to the left. From here you can either take a bus to the center or walk - it only takes about 10 minutes and you'll be in front of the Pitti Palace. The disadvantage of taking the bus is being tied to an already very limited schedule.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in San Casciano - going to Florence Day Trips

It is indeed perfectly possible to drive if you are prepared, know all about ZTLs and bus lanes and are familiar with driving in cities, but if some/none of the above are true, then I really don't think it is fair to say it is fiddlefaddle to advise people not to drive in Florence. Too many people get caught and come here whining afterwards. The OP said they didn't know how to get to the city or where to park, so didn't sound that prepared to drive to Florence to me. I looked at the bus timetable and there were quite a lot of buses as well as a bus stop right outside their door, so I doubt they were very limited by taking the bus.

UK
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in San Casciano - going to Florence Day Trips

We stayed at San Casciano in October 2006 and drove into Florence on a Sunday when the ZTLs were not operating. We parked near the Brancacci Chapel and walked everywhere from there. We know Florence pretty well and over the years have driven in many times so have the confidence and knowledge to plan our visits with the use of a good map. Others, particularly on a first time visit, IMO should use public transport.

8. Re: Staying in San Casciano - going to Florence Day Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 02:42