We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic ticket scam in Florence

Columbus, Georgia...
1 post
Save Topic
Traffic ticket scam in Florence

Can anyone say what will happen if a limited zone traffic it is not

paid??

Will they require Hertz to pay?

Will they send the Mafiaoso?

Will it ruin my credit?

Do they have a way of "strong arming an American"?

Give me the bottom line if anyone knows..

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Traffic ticket scam in Florence

There are no rules over there. They drive like lunatics. And I am a New York City driver! I can hold my own anywhere in the world, but Italy takes the cake. Between the lunatic motorcycle drivers (smoking and talking on cell phones while steering with one hand) and over the center line and on the wrong side of the road and the fact they they have NO traffic control devices, I find it hard to figure how anyone gets a ticket for anything! I never saw a single cop with anyone on the side of the road. Just got back and racked up 900+ miles in two weeks from Venice down to Amalfi. Never stopped, no tickets, no hassles. But some amusing stories about the chaos that is driving in Italy. Does anyone care? Fuhgeddabowdit!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,701 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Traffic ticket scam in Florence

we have driven a lot in Italy and are pretty impressed with the drivers -- if you do't do anything unexpected they will miss you -- they are a lot better than NYC drivers who seem to nail a handful of pedestrians daily -- and sure a lot better than Nashville TN drivers where everyone does their nails and chats on cell phones whlle wheeling through parking lots

we have been billed by our credit card company for traffic violations but have not yet ever received a bill in the US from the jurisdiction for the fines.

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Traffic ticket scam in Florence

Facetime:

1) To advise somebody else to be a scofflaw is totally irresponsible. I doubt seriously if you have enough knowledge or experience to provide anybody with advice about what the repercussions might be down the road - as it were.

2) You say: "There are no rules over there. They drive like lunatics. . . . I never saw a single cop with anyone on the side of the road. Just got back and racked up 900+ miles in two weeks from Venice down to Amalfi. Never stopped, no tickets, no hassles." I suggest you wait and see what comes in the mail - from the Italian authorities and in your credit card statements.

3) Enforcement of traffic laws in much of Europe (and in parts of the U.S.), is now done largely by cameras. You can "drive like lunatics" and never get stopped and never get a ticket - but you will pay for the privilege.

4) You give New Yorkers a bad name. And that is saying something.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Traffic ticket scam in Florence

If you break the traffic rules, you should pay the fine - what's the difference between breaking the rules in Italy and in the US? Do you expect not to pay your traffic fines here?

United States
Level Contributor
9,651 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Traffic ticket scam in Florence

I was notified last fall for a speeding violation in Florence province caught by a camera in June. Hertz billed me €60 for releasing the contact info to the police. They have 360 days to act on the info so I have been waiting. Sure enough when I returned from the latest trip, a registered letter from Florence was waiting for me.

I have the philosophy that for every violation for which I get caught I probably deserved a few others so I'm paying. They included very explicit instructions on how I can pay from the US. Since I spend 3 to 5 months a year in Italy, it is worth it to me to follow the rules.

TAB

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,486 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Traffic ticket scam in Florence

Ahem...as a New Yorker, I find that comment a bit troublesome Uncletomaso. I too find the remarks of FaceTime4Me really atrocious - but, such attitudes, sadly, appear in people all over the world - the ones who think it is fine to break rules and not pay the consequences. Please don't lump me in with him....

His comments about no rules are ludicrous but make it pretty clear he, as many other tourists, didn't bother to read up on Italian road/driving rules.

As someone who lives in NYC, I always remind out of towners to look into our specific driving rules - i.e., not being able to turn right on a red light while you can do so elsewhere. The excuse of being an ignorant tourist just doesn't fly - not when it is take just minutes to read up on the information you need.

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Traffic ticket scam in Florence

MomCat,

I beg your pardon.

As a recovering ex-New Yorker, the son of a New Yorker, the grandson and great-grandson of New Yorkers, I have some idea of the enormous diversity of the Big Apple. I know that not all New Yorkers are like Facetime - or like you or like me.

However, it has been my experience - with my New York relatives, in-laws, friends, colleagues, etc., that all too often they share a peculiar trait: They are confident that wherever they go in the world things are done the same way they are done in New York - or they should be.

To me, that is the essence of being provincial.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,701 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Traffic ticket scam in Florence

interesting that you have been billed for the traffic fine -- we have over the past few years had several apparently -- and the rental company has dinged us for the information fee -- but we have yet to have received any bills from the jurisdictions (none of them however is Florence as we know how to keep out of trouble there)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,486 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Traffic ticket scam in Florence

Actually, that has been my experience with many travelers from all over the world - not just those from NY - but, everywhere.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Traffic ticket scam in Florence

My friend... unless you are a lawyer, and if you are, you know this... if not, please trust me on this... car rental companies have NO authorization to charge renters for fines incurred unless they are parking fines. Moving violations require knowing WHO was operating the vehicle because the violation was committed by someone, not something. I am not a scoff law... and I do NOT deliberately speed. In fact I drive rather carefully. I actually kept my GPS set on Miles not Kilometers just so I would know how fast I was going in numbers I instantly understand rather than the car's speedometer in kM which on a cursory glance tells me nothing without a speed limit sign posted next to it. BUT that said, the truth of the matter is foreign authorities have no recourse. They cannot charge your credit card. It would be an unauthorized charge. I drove in France last year, was billed 62 dollars by Hertz for an inquiry by French Police. At that point, when French police were told I was an American they never bothered me again. I am sorry I was in excess of the limit that one time.. but they cannot conduct a trial, I cannot impeach the testimony of the court or the accuracy of the radar or the camera... so they have no case. Plain and simple. I am not encouraging people to break the law nor to be scoff laws. But the fact is too, that paying a ticket when you have no way to confront your accuser is just plain dumb. Most of that is pure revenue generation anyway just like the red light cameras here. And I stop for them like a clock. Still, dumb. As for Italians driving like lunatics, sorry but they do. Esp the motorcycles. They cross the center line, they pass on curves in the rain... indeed they appear suicidal. It was so nutty that my wife shot video of it on my iPad so my son at home could see it. If you would like me to send you the video I will be happy. to. Actually "lunatic" is kind. I love them all, but their driving is insane.