We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to the Piazzale Michelangelo at dawn to propose

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
1 post
Save Topic
Getting to the Piazzale Michelangelo at dawn to propose

I am planning on proposing to my girlfriend of 3.5 years in June at the Piazzale Michelangelo. I would prefer to do it when there aren't a lot of people around and I have heard that it is packed in the evenings, so I would like to go at sunrise.

The only problem is that we will be staying in a hostel (hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/…56) the night before that is 8 km away from the Piazzale.

Any tips on getting from the hostel to the Piazzale in the very early morning would be great! I have thought about the possibility of renting a Vespa the day before and then driving it as close to our destination as possible, but I have no idea if that is feasible.

Also, general advice, or feedback would be much appreciated.

sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to the Piazzale Michelangelo at dawn to propose

Grab a taxi. You need to be there on time for this special event and you don't want to take risks. Ask your hostel manager to order it the night before.It may be expensive but surely it is worth every cent. You can stroll back down to the city from there afterwards for an early breakfast.

Good luck!

Francoise

Excusemewhereis.blogspot.com

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to the Piazzale Michelangelo at dawn to propose

I'm still trying to work out how you're going to get your girlfriend up there for dawn !

If my boyfriend had tried that on me, he'd have got a slapped face and I would have gone back to sleep ! Presumably, your girlfriend is an early bird... so what ruse are you going to use to get her to get up and go to Piazzale Michelangelo at such an ungodly hour ? I suppose birdwatchers will like to hear the dawn chorus...

Much more romantic to have fed and wined her, and to find somewhere - anywhere with a romantic view of the sunset....Bay of Naples ?

Congratulations, anyway.... I hope (for your sake) that she appreciates it and says 'yes'.....

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
560 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to the Piazzale Michelangelo at dawn to propose

I am not very familiar with the place you are staying, but it is very probable that there is very beautiful countryside surrounding it. If I were you, I would seize the moment if you end up having dinner in a particular nice place or are just wandering in a nice spot... It could rain the next morning or be dull, there could be some event planned up there (like the fireworks on 24 June, for example), meaning that some temporary construction is being thrown up and the tourists are prevented from entering half the area (it happens). I personally do not find the view from there to be anything special - you cannot appreciate the architecture of the buildings, because you are looking at the WHOLE town (its rooftops), which is mostly twentieth-century housing. The area is really just a glorified car-park, with tourist tat on sale and a really dreadful copy of Michelangelo's David (with incongruous statues at the bottom). Of course, the view is very fine, but I think it is overrated... Alternatively, go up a little higher and propose outside the church of San Miniato al Monte, because the point where the steps finally end make you look as if you are standing on the edge of the world! I wonder if anyone else has better suggestions? In Fiesole? At the highest point of the Boboli Gardens? Anyone?

Edited: 13 May 2012, 20:24
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to the Piazzale Michelangelo at dawn to propose

Nolana, you're a woman of the same ilk as my wife.... perhaps best not to go into how I did manage to persuade her, but it certainly didn't happen before breakfast time!

Personally, I'd opt for a long, late and slow lunch somewhere - and perform the deed in a mellow moment, once the afternoon quietens down a little.

Surely a more attractive lifetime to be offering, rather than one of 06:30 buses or hunts for parking spaces?

Peter

Peter

5. Re: Getting to the Piazzale Michelangelo at dawn to propose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 23:40