We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days in Florence~ Stay outside or inside city?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, New York
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
3 Days in Florence~ Stay outside or inside city?

HELP! Husband and I will be in Florence for three days and want to see the sights there AND in Pisa, at least. Should we stay outside of Florence in a B&B and take the train into the city? Or, should we just stay in Florence and take a bus tour with the rest of civilization? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,031 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days in Florence~ Stay outside or inside city?

when you go to a place, I think you should go there -- being a day commuter when you have come all that way to be in Florence (or Venice or Rome) seems such a waste of time and energy to me. 3 nights in Florence with a side trip to Pisa is not nearly enough time to even scratch the surface, so don't waste part of it commuting.

it is also pleasant to be in Florence in the evening -- it is a beautiful town to stroll

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Naperville
Level Contributor
905 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days in Florence~ Stay outside or inside city?

My vote is for staying inside the city. There is so much to see and do and it's such a walkable city. Besides, you'll want to walk around after dinner at night. It is so beautiful then. It's also nice to be able to walk back to your hotel in the middle of the day for a rest or to drop off shopping packages. You would waste a lot of time taking the train back and forth to the city. You can take a train to Pisa from Florence, no need for a tour. Just do a little homework on the sights you want to see.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days in Florence~ Stay outside or inside city?

If you're going to see a city, STAY in the city. You won't have the hassle of getting transport early or late. Some of the best times are in the early morning as the city awakens, and late at night when many of the day trippers have left and the bridges, churches, monuments, etc., are all lit up.

Take a stroll after dinner and enjoy Florence. You'll love it. Virtually all of the things you want to see are easily walkable. Get a gelato after dinner while walking around.

Pisa is an easy train trip from SMN.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,046 posts
5,330 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Days in Florence~ Stay outside or inside city?

I'd also suggest staying right in the heart of the city, walking distance to the sights. A lot of lovely evening and nighttime walks, you'd miss these if you stayed outside the city area.

Do have a night stroll to Piazza della Signoria at night. Its sublime at nighttime after the tourist swarms have dispersed. See links (w/pictures some taken at nighttime)

tripadvisor.com/…UR126018002

Piazza del Duomo is another place, well worth a bit of time at night.

tripadvisor.com/…UR126267190

Have a great stay in the lovely Florence.

Florence, Italy
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Days in Florence~ Stay outside or inside city?

We are a family of 5 currently in Florence for 4 nights.

After staying outside of Paris and commuting into Paris for 5days, we found it very time consuming and taxing travelling with peak hour commuters.

Now staying centrally in Florence, though accommodation is expensive, the enjoyment and memories will surpass the hotel bill.

Its now more of a holiday ..., living amongst it all., and relaxing.

I regret not staying centrally in Paris now.

Go Central!

Rochester, New York
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Days in Florence~ Stay outside or inside city?

Thank you all so much for your advice! I think we will stay in the city, after all! There are so many beautiful places, it's hard to choose! We haven't booked a place yet so we have to hurry-- we'll be in Florence on July 11th. If you have suggestions- let us know! I know it will be hot, so air conditioning is a plus. Thank you again!

Norma

Rochester, New York
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Days in Florence~ Stay outside or inside city?

To Brendan W: What's the weather like there now? I know it will be different by the time we arrive on July 11th, but I'm curious what the temperature is now. Thanks!

Florence, Italy
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Days in Florence~ Stay outside or inside city?

Jeans and a t shirt. 22degrees. An air conditioned room is nice at night.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 Days in Florence~ Stay outside or inside city?

Look at vacation rentals in the city. There are many for two. I love the apartments where you can go to the market and bring things home, sit on your balcony with a glass of wine, cheese and bread.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
180 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 Days in Florence~ Stay outside or inside city?

There is a very nice, brand new hotel just outside Florence called Hotel Loft (it's more of a business oriented place) and there are free shuttle buses to the city from the hotel. Or in the city there is a very cheap but good place, Ciao Hostel.

http://www.hotelleloft.com/

ciaohostelflorence.it