We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the Easter rush?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
the Easter rush?

Is Florence generally very busy over the Easter weekend? (I am going next Friday 14th to 18th). Will the museums be really busy and am I even likely to be able to book advance tickets this close? And do you generally need to book restaurants in advance?

all help much appreciated!

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the Easter rush?

Yes, it's likely to be busy. Try and phone Firenzemusei ASAP and see what they've got. Usually you don't need to book restaurants for lunch, only dinner. But it being a holiday, you will probably need to book in advance if you want a specific restaurant.Good luck!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the Easter rush?

I visited Florence last week- it was packed with tourists! So yes, be prepared to queue for the most popular attractions. You might consider giving the Uffizi a miss, and go to the less visited but equally rewarding-in my opinion- Pitti Palace. You should be ok with restaurants though, there are plenty of them.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the Easter rush?

I 2nd the Pitti Palace. It is my favorite museum.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
347 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the Easter rush?

loddinton and atlmom2,

Regarding Pitti Palace, can you give me an idea about how long one would need to spend there to give it justice? Did you visit the gardens too or just the interior? If you wouldn't mind sharing, what was it about Pitti Palace that makes it special to you?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the Easter rush?

There's a lot to see at the Pitti Palace.And the building itself is a most impressive sight, a huge Renaissance palace across the river, 5 minutes walk from the Ponte Vecchio. It contains museums and the Boboli Gardens, formal gardens laid out for the Royal Courts I believe. I visited only the Palatina Gallery, and it took a morning, say 3 hours. For 6 euros, you get a look into the courtyard of the Palace, and a visit to the Royal Apartments and State Rooms, with original furniture, and the picture galleries, containing fine paintings collected over the centuries by the Medicis and the Royal houses that occupied the palace later. If you are into Italian painting, its full of fine works, especially by Raphael and Titian. Plus the odd Rubens,Caravaggio, etc.. In one of the sumptuously decorated rooms I believe I counted 6 Raphaels! Of course, some pictures are better than others. Unusually they are displayed as they would have been years ago, with lots of pictures in no apparent order on the walls. It was quieter, fewer people, than the Uffizi, and it did not take much imagination to see what it was like in its prime!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the Easter rush?

Well, the Uffizi is an old office building and still looks like it, other than the beautiful art. The Pitti Palace is a palace and has a beautiful interior even without the artwork so I found that to be very interesting and more appealing to me.

I would allow 1 1/2 to 2 hours for the Pitti Palace.

For me the gardens are not that great. Its not a lot of flowers but more plants. If you have time then do the gardens, but don't feel you have to if you are rushed and have other things to see.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
347 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: the Easter rush?

Thanks. Sounds great! Will make Pitti Palace a must do on our list.

Farmington Hills, MI
Level Contributor
311 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: the Easter rush?

Just wait until you see the amazing and faublous displays of Easter candies, wrapped eggs, and marzipan in the windows of shops. It is so lovely and definitely worth a picture. You will be in awe.

Farmington Hills, MI
Level Contributor
311 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: the Easter rush?

Just wait until you see the amazing and faublous displays of Easter candies, wrapped eggs, and marzipan in the windows of shops. It is so lovely and definitely worth a picture. You will be in awe.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
996 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: the Easter rush?

We were in Florence last year at the same time. The Accademia is actually open on Easter Monday, even though it is normally closed on Mondays throughout the year. I read about it in Rick Steves guidebook. There was no line and no crowds there on Easter Monday last year. It was a great time to go. We almost had the place to ourselves.