We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to find the best bistecca alla fiorentina - for one

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
39 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Where to find the best bistecca alla fiorentina - for one

Hello,

I would like some suggestion for a great bistecca alla fiorentina in Florence, preferably somewhere in the center of the city. Also, I am flying solo, so a restaurant that would serve an appropriate portion for one person would be very helpful.

Also, I saw that Hotel Brunelleschi is offering a Aug 15 Ferregosto brunch dinner for 49 euro. Does anyone have any opinion about it?

THANK YOU!

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to find the best bistecca alla fiorentina - for one

The bistecca alla fiorentina is the entire T-bone, sliced about 2" thick and barely seared on the grill. Enough to feed an army, or at least two hungry people. You'll have a hard time finding anyone to serve you a smaller portion than that, so either come with a great big appetite or make some friends before dinner and share! Or... you can order the "tagliata", which is the steak, served sliced, in a human-sized portion.

They say the best meat in town is at Buca Lapi. You may need to pull some strings to get a reservation ;o)

London, United...
Level Contributor
722 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to find the best bistecca alla fiorentina - for one

Eugene is right, saying what I was about to say. The true bistecca Fiorentina coems from only the Chianina breed of cattle, which is not built for one person portions, let me put it like that. A normal cut is huge, a little les than on kg upwards. A portion for one person is likely to compormise the quality of the dish. As Eugene wrote, most places will have the tagliata as an option, but it is not "Fiorentina" strictly speaking.

Ordering the bistecca, many places will stick to reserving the absolute best cuts for the customers ordering "al sangue" - rare. Some places might planily refuse to serve well done - "ben cotto". In this matter, alwyas trust the opininon of the restaurant/server.

For me, the best bistecca is at http://www.daqueiganzi.it/

The cost is 30 euro for a kilo, and it comes with contorni (side dishes like salad and potatoes) included. The waiter will be happy to help you find a good wine.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to find the best bistecca alla fiorentina - for one

Actually, the price of bistecca alla fiorentina varies and can be as high as €45/kg. Rately will you find a "second" (meat course) served with sides included.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
137 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to find the best bistecca alla fiorentina - for one

Hi,

Being a foodie, even I want to try the bistecca alla fiorentina out, but I'm a backpacker and I'd be grateful if you could tell me how much can I expect to pay for the cheapest bistecca and where can I find it?

Thanks.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,524 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to find the best bistecca alla fiorentina - for one

I must have gotten the worst Fiorentina ever 25 years ago when I had it in Florence because the thing that stood out for us was that we could get better steaks at a dozen places in the US city we were living in then -- it was just not all that -- a big disappointment

Steak is one of those things that is easy to buy and prepare -- always seems a waste to get it in a restaurant and after our first experience of the famous Florence steak (can't remember the name of the restaurant now but it was highly recommending by many ) we never ordered it again.

We did have the best pork chop ever at a wonderful little Trattoria out past Porta Romana on our last visit and they were very gracious about wrapping up the half pound of meat I couldn't get to so we had it in an impromptu Carbonera at the apartment the next evening. ( most places don't do take out in Europe and I almost was too embarrassed to ask, but this trattoria did a lively local business in complete dinners for take out and so had no problem with wrapping up this glorious piece of meat (the half of the enormous thick chop I didn't eat) The place was Trattoria Ruggero. We ate there a second time on the trip and it was terrific that time too and both times we were the only tourists in the place.

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to find the best bistecca alla fiorentina - for one

I do not know Da Quer Ganzi. I will try it at my next opportunity.

For steak , in Florence, we go either to Baldini or to Sostanza.

I do not agree with the above posts about portions.

In my experience, restaurants in Florence do service single portions of bistecca. They tend to be skinny, sad, and not very good because they are either not properly seared or they are seared and dried out and tough.

To get a proper piece of meat properly seared and red on the inside, it has to be decently thick - about two inches, as Eugene said. That means you really need a "doppio" - a double-thick piece of meat. If you really want to taste what all the fuss is about with a Fiorentina, pay the price, get the thick cut, and do ask your waiter for a bag to take the leftovers with you. You may get a strange look, but you will get a great lunch or snack the next day.

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to find the best bistecca alla fiorentina - for one

Slowfood Italy latest taverns edition recommends "Tre Soldi" at via D'Annunzio 4 R Campo di Marte. It is not in the historical centre but offers both Fiorentina Chianina and Tagliata. Accepts all CC.

It is closed saturdays, friday evening and August. Tel. 055 679366

London, United...
Level Contributor
722 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to find the best bistecca alla fiorentina - for one

Agreed, Eugene. Contorni are priced individually, that's why it was so easy to remember that at gue Ganzi, they do include them, but for bistecca only.

9. Re: Where to find the best bistecca alla fiorentina - for one

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2013, 10:15