We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence to Cinque Terre

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
E Y
San Francisco
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Florence to Cinque Terre

I wanted to rent a car from downtown Florence and drive to Cinque Terre for 3 nights, but have been reading about difficulties driving around there. Is it doable? Is it fine to leave the car at La Spezia for 3 days? We are planning to travel down to Siena area after Cinque Terre, so I think renting a car would be the most economical way. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence to Cinque Terre

It would be better to go to the CT by train from Florence then picking up a hire car in La Spezia after your three days there. It will avoid any problems getting out of Florence and where to park the car whilst visiting the villages. Although there is long term parking in the underground car park in La Spezia not to sure on how secure it will be and you will still have to carry your luggage to your accommodation in CT.

See this Thread regarding car parking in CT.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…40595294

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
330 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence to Cinque Terre

We rented a car in Florence and drove to Cinque Terre with no problems. Be sure you have a GPS and you learn the rules of the road for Italy. Our hotel in Riomaggiore had a parking lot (Locanda del Sole). We left the car there and used the hiking trail and train to get around the villages.

Have Fun!

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
330 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence to Cinque Terre

I should also mention that we did not rent a car from central Florence; we went to the outskirts of town so we wouldn't get caught up in the ZTL zones of central Florence.

E Y
San Francisco
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence to Cinque Terre

Thanks so much for the help. I had thought about renting the car in La Spezia after our stay in CT, but we're leaving CT on a Sunday, and the car rental place is closed on Sunday. Now I'm just hoping that the Florence car rental place is open on November 1st. I did decide to return the car to Florence airport, I found it is easy to get out of Florence and avoid the ZTL, but not into Florence.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence to Cinque Terre

why not just use the train? cheap. simple. will take you from point a to point b.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,925 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Florence to Cinque Terre

Pisa Airport car rentals are open on Sundays and national holidays, and are much easier and faster to access from the Cinque Terre than Florence Airport.

7. Re: Florence to Cinque Terre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 05:15