We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours of the Duomo - Help, Please

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
74 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Tours of the Duomo - Help, Please

I'm having some trouble deciding when to go to the Duomo for the best experience.

-1- I have seen conflicting reports about whether the cathedral opens at 8:30 or 10:00AM. Can anyone please answer this?

-2- Is it me, or is the Duomo's Web site only in Italian now? I cannot see an option to view the text in English.

-3- Should I just show up early, or will I have a better experience booking a tour (cupola or terraces + cupola) in advance?

Thank you.

FUA2011
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours of the Duomo - Help, Please

When I studied there this past fall I found the best time to go was around 4:30 PM. When I would go to class at 830 everyday there would be huge lines and at 4:30 no lines!

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
217 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours of the Duomo - Help, Please

Hi, is it true that to go up the dome of the Duoma it costs €10?

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours of the Duomo - Help, Please

The Duomo opens at 10:00.

To climb the cupola costs €8.

The cupola + Museo del Duomo (fantastic museum!) costs €11.

The cupola, Museum, Bell tower, Santa Reparata and the Baptistry costs €23.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
217 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours of the Duomo - Help, Please

Thanks a lot for your reply! Do you think kids will find the museum interesting? (We'll have 6 kids with us, ages ranging from 8 to 17.) And how much time do you think one can spend (minimum) over there? We only have a day - or part of - in Florence, since we'll be on a cruise which makes a stop in Livorno. At around 15:30 we'll have to start moving back just in case we find traffic on the way.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,218 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours of the Duomo - Help, Please

Children will find climbing the dome interesting, but you may have to queue for quite a while. While there is a lot to see of interest in the Museo dell'opera del Duomo, I'm not sure children will find it that enthralling. There are certainly better places you could take them on a day trip in Florence.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
217 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours of the Duomo - Help, Please

I think so too. Our children are not into art, and museums can be dull for them. I think viewing Florence more from the outside will be a better bet.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,218 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours of the Duomo - Help, Please

Near the Duomo is the Leonardo da Vinci museum where there are replicas of over 50 of his wooden machines. Kids can play with the replicas and see how they worked. The Palazzo Vecchio does a very popular tour with children called the secret passageways tour, this needs to be booked in advance by email and can be given in English. If the queue isn't too bad to climb the dome, they will definitely enjoy that. The Palazzo Davanzati is only 2 euros to get in and is a restored merchant's house. It is a maze of colouful rooms set around a central courtyard and will give them a good idea of how people lived in Florence in those days. There are often street entertainers in the Piazza della Republicca and there is a carousel there too. San Lorenzo market is always a winner with the kids too.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tours of the Duomo - Help, Please

This is where I always chime in with, Ah but my patents were hauling me around the museums of the world while I was still in diapers, and look how well I turned out!

But seriously, it's all in how you present a museum and it's contents to kids. I'm inside museums all the time with families - if you start out with the "they're going to hate this", they probably will. If you present it as what it is, a treasure box filled with wonderful things, and lure them in with exciting stories about real people and things... you got 'em hooked!

That said, take them to Palazzo Vecchio. It's a big old castle! Kids love that!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tours of the Duomo - Help, Please

It’s my understanding that the cathedral opens at 10am, but you can climb the dome from 8.30 (cost €8)

visitflorence.com/florence-churches/duomo.ht…

I hope that’s correct, as I only have the one day in Florence and want to climb the dome and visit the cathedral before our Acedemia reservation at 11am.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
217 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tours of the Duomo - Help, Please

Aha so we will be meeting at the Accademia since we too are booked for 11am! :-D