We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pisa/Lucca day trip from Florence on a Monday?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
617 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Pisa/Lucca day trip from Florence on a Monday?

Hi,

I was about to schedule a day trip from Florence to Pisa/Lucca on a Monday (Sept 17), since some major museums are closed on Monday in Florence.

However, I just read the most of Lucca is closed on Monday.

I wanted to do Pisa in the morning by taking a train from Firenze S. M. Novella to Pisa Centrale at 8ish... visit Pisa and climb the Tower, then take another train from Pisa S. Rossore to Lucca at 12ish. Spend the remaining of the day there and come back to Florence from Lucca at 20ish.

#1- Is Lucca all closed on Mondays? Bike rental, restaurants, ...?

#2- Should I stay in Florence instead this Monday and schedule my day trip another day?

#3- Do I have the right train stations listed above? What's the name of the Lucca one?

#4- Is my planning making any sense?

Thanks a lot!

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
13 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pisa/Lucca day trip from Florence on a Monday?

For the same reasons as you, we alsoI recently did this trip on a Monday. We went from Florence to Lucca, from Lucca to Pisa Centrale and from Pisa Centrale back to Florence. All tickets were simply purchased on the day at the relevant train station and we took the train to the next destination when it suited us. Very easy process using the ticket machines which show all trains, stations and times etc. Fares were extremely reasonable. We went to Lucca first as we had a late afternoon booking for the Tower of Pisa. Apparently Pisa is generally quieter in the afternoon after the tour coaches have been and gone - it was certainly quite "manageable" this day. Lucca seemed very "open" to me although we didn't try to hire bikes etc. There were plenty of restaurants and shops open.Trains between Lucca and Pisa are very regular and the trip takes about 30 minutes. We went to and from Pisa Centrale and caught a taxi to and from the Tower (my daughter wasn't feeling 100%). I understand Pisa Rosslare may be closer to the Tower and we thought about getting off there but it looked a bit "deserted" so we kept going to Centrale. There are regular services between Florence and Pisa ( less so between Florence and Lucca). It was a great day's outing. When we bought our first set of tickets at SMN, it was just a matter of selecting Lucca as the destination. At Lucca we had to choose between Pisa Centrale and Pisa Rosslare but train went to both. Return from Pisa centrale to SMN was straightforward. The trains were very comfortable and it was a great day out.

albuquerque
Level Contributor
967 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pisa/Lucca day trip from Florence on a Monday?

There is plenty to do in Lucca on Mondays. Some things are closed in the am but really on a 1/2 day trip the best part of Lucca is walking through the town and around the walls.

The Palazzo Pfanner and it's gardens are open daily in the summer, cafes are open.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,354 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pisa/Lucca day trip from Florence on a Monday?

Pisa San Rossore is only 5 mins from the tower so very convenient and on the Lucca line. It is very small so may look deserted, but there is no reason to avoid it. I have hired bikes on a Monday in Lucca.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
617 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pisa/Lucca day trip from Florence on a Monday?

I just bought my Pisa Tower ticket for Monday at 11:30.

After this, I will head up for Lucca.

Thanks for your help!

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
Level Contributor
413 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pisa/Lucca day trip from Florence on a Monday?

Like most places in Italy some things in Lucca are closed Monday mornings, generally these days that means some of the shops, although food shops are open and the odd restaurant. Most tourist related things are well and truly open for business these days.

Canberra
Level Contributor
87 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pisa/Lucca day trip from Florence on a Monday?

Hi all

Catching the train out to Pisa for the morning sounds like a great idea, and much better than the 65 euro per person tour offered by our hotel.

If the rail experts can please hold your laughter, we've got one of those EuroRail flexi pass things that allegedly allows unlimited rides. If we shoot out to Pisa and back on one of our travel days, in time for our 2pm train to Venice, how exactly do we go about it? Do we just flash the pass and get on, or do we have to front up to a ticket counter/kiosk?

And while we're at it, how much time and money are we wasting having our travel agent reserve seats on the main trips between cities/countries? In my defence, Canberra only has one crappy bus service that more or less runs the length of the city.

Thanks

7. Re: Pisa/Lucca day trip from Florence on a Monday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 00:16