We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lucca and pisa

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
706 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
lucca and pisa

can we actually visit both places in a day?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,217 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lucca and pisa

Check train times over the next seven days www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Morning train Florence to Pisa, later train from Pisa to Lucca, return by train from Lucca to Florence.

Have a nice day in Tuscany.

www.discovetuscany.com

www.italia.it/en/home.html

Edited: 22 August 2012, 08:28
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,505 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lucca and pisa

Yes, you can if you get an early start. Train to Pisa Centrale then walk across the city to the tower (takes about 20 mins or so) and that way you get to see something of the city and one of my favourites the little church of Santa Maria della Spina clinging to the banks of the Arno.

If you plan to climb the tower make sure you have already reserved your slot (at least 15 days in advance online) and put your bags in the bag deposit before you go up. Do take the time to look at the other buildings there, so many don't and they are worth the entrance fee.

Then walk the 5 mins or so to the little station of Pisa San Rossore which is on the Lucca line and catch a train on to Lucca to spend the rest of the day there. Catch a late train back to Florence. It's a long day and absolutely worth it, BUT only if you have at least two more full days to spend in Florence.

Singapore
Level Contributor
706 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lucca and pisa

i'm using 1 day to travel to lucca then to pisa... should i return back to florence stay 1 night and take morning train to venice? or should i stay in pisa area and take a train from pisa to venice?

anyone can advice? thanks!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,505 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lucca and pisa

I'd go back to Florence.

albuquerque
Level Contributor
972 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lucca and pisa

Too much time wasted in changing hotels - I'd definitely go back to Florence.

Also, unless you are really set on seeing Pisa I think a full day in Lucca is a real treat.

Singapore
Level Contributor
706 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lucca and pisa

sounds good! so I'll return to Florence...

I was looking at the train schedule... there's a train from FLorence to Venice

Should I take the night train @ 21:25 OR do u suggest I stay another night in Florence and take morning 10am train to Venice?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,217 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lucca and pisa

Take the day train Florence to Venice www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

8. Re: lucca and pisa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2013, 10:15