We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must-dos for single traveler in Florence

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Must-dos for single traveler in Florence

I will be in Florence in June for the first time(3 days). I am traveling solo and would appreciate any advice on good places to eat and soak up my surroundings, things to do at night and any sightseeing. (I already have a hotel.)

I will also be in Prague, Vienna, Venice and Rome if you want to add anything on those areas!

Thanks!

Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must-dos for single traveler in Florence

Il Latini is an absolute MUST! to eat in Florence. All the guide books rave about this place and for good reason. The meal is "an experience", not just food. You must call for reservations. We got there on a Sunday nite- about 20 minutes before opening...and there was a line of about 60, yes 60 people to get in. We were there for 3 1/2 hours, met a great couple from Australia, had a 43 course meal, or something like that I lost count. They just keep bringing out the food! All in all, they bring the food to large tables that you share with others(the best part) and they charge everyone at the table a set price- No Menu to speak of. There are ham's hanging from the ceiling. The food is out of this world and we had 2-3 bottles of Chianti, a bottle of Vin Santo and because our waiter liked us- he delivered a special bottle of another dessert wine.... all for the low price of 60 Euro for 2! Best meal/experience of our entire 2 week trip!

Firenze
Level Contributor
557 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must-dos for single traveler in Florence

I have to disagree with the last reply to this post -- save your dignity and skip Latini. They don't take reservations, you have to line up. People get pushy -- getting there early does not mean you will get in the door, because even if you're first you might not survive the push! The food is typical tuscan fare, and although good, it is pretty expensive. In my opinion there is nothing much all THAT great to eat in downtown florence. If you're in italy for long enough, buy the "osterie d'italia" guide published by slow food, and follow it to the letter. I have never failed, having followed them to some of the most obscure parts of all sorts of cities.

As for what to go see, this really depends on your interests. You should buy yourself a good guidebook and start reading.

My website www.arttrav.com has a lot of information on things to see in rome, including some things that are off the beaten track. I haven't had time to add much on florence, though there are some amazon links for guide books that i reccomend as well as some art history reading if you're up to it.

At night, assuming you are young and might want to talk to other people, you might want to go to the open air bar in piazza santo spirito. You are likely to run into a fair number of american students, if you're lonely for english speaking company, but also lots of italians. However beware, if you're female, of men on the prowl.

happy travels.

Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must-dos for single traveler in Florence

If a night of endless food and great company for 3 hours including 3-4 bottles of wine, 2-3 meats, bruschetta, prosciutto and melon, mozzarella and tomatoes, gnocci, dessert and coffee for 30Euro a person is considered expensive....maybe McDonalds is the way to go. I couldn't dream of a meal in the US like that for less than $100. Latini was listed in every guidebook as a must and as a great value. I read many good things about it on this site and others- Everyone can't be wrong. If it was that bad Why would they line up for blocks and wait to get in the door- the place is always packed! That is always a good sign. Sometimes it is all about the experience. It may not be for EVERYONE- but we had the absolute best meal for the best price on our trip there.