We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Livorno to Lucca, Florence and Back

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Livorno to Lucca, Florence and Back

I need a bit of advice. Having been to Florence before, I would rather not spend a full day in Florence when our ship comes in to Livorno. Instead, I would like to take the train from the port to Lucca. Spend a few hours in Lucca and then take the train to Florence and go to the Uffizi Museum. then I'd like to take the train back to port. Is this doable? We are in port from 7-7.

Thanks-

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Livorno to Lucca, Florence and Back

Check train times over the next seven days from Livorno Centrale to Lucca to Florence to Livorno www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Read Top Questions to the right "Muesum tickets: Uffizi and Accademia

www.dicovertuscany.com

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Livorno to Lucca, Florence and Back

You're going to be pushin' it. I'd opt for one or the other and not spend my conscious hours negotiating train schedules.

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Livorno to Lucca, Florence and Back

Yes, it's do-able, but you'll be in a strait jacket afterwards. We'd suggest that you do one or the other (as SavannahMame advises). Lucca boasts some very fine museums if you're hankering for off-the-beaten-path medieval and Renaissance art (including the Museo Nazionale di Villa Giunigi, and the Museo Nazionale di Palazzo Mansi) as well as some marvelous churches.

On the other hand, none of this can compete -- to our minds, at least -- with the Uffizi.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Livorno to Lucca, Florence and Back

Great. Thanks. I think I am going to do the train into Florence and do the Uffizi.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Livorno to Lucca, Florence and Back

Great choice! Be sure to make reservations, otherwise you may wind up wasting conscious hours standing on line to get in! The easiest way to do that is to call (+39.055.294883), follow the cues for English, then for reservations. Tell the operator which museum you want to reserve, the date and time. She'll ask for your name and give you a code number, which you'll take to Uffizi door #3 a few minutes before your entry time to pick up and pay for your tickets. Cash only! The service costs €4 in addition to the ticket price - a bargain to spare you from wasting precious vacation time!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Livorno to Lucca, Florence and Back

I was just looking online for the tickets and the website seems to just be taking reservations through December. If I call, would they take a reservation for June?

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Livorno to Lucca, Florence and Back

They won't be taking 2013 reservations until late November-early December. I just called the Uffizi to confirm this for you, so your news is hot off the press!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Livorno to Lucca, Florence and Back

I was just looking online for the tickets and the website seems to just be taking reservations through December. If I call, would they take a reservation for June?

9. Re: Livorno to Lucca, Florence and Back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 20:17