We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence or Verona.

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
57 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Florence or Verona.

Family of five travelling in late March early April. We are coming in from

Switzerland as part of european vacation & have 4 nights allocated for Italy. We are thinking either 3 nights Verona or Florence with day trips on one or two of the days before going onto venice for one night. We have young teen children & while we would like to see ancient ruins & history, art galleries are not on the list. We thought around florence we could do a day exploring the city & also going to San Gig & Siena whre I have heard Verona is beautiful & underrated and has ancient ruins.

I am not to sure about day trips from Verona or around Verona itself as opposed to drives through tuscanny. Is it the same kind of landscape with hilltop villages to discover. I am not partial to big crowds, but love to find hidden gems. Sorry am confused. Thanks in advance.

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence or Verona.

What you have heard about Verona is correct, and for a family not keenly interested in art galleries, I would think Verona would have lots of variety. It also has nice day trips by train in all directions if you don't wan to rent a car.

The big scenic attraction near Verona is Lago di Garda. In early spring, it is likely to be a chilly place to be, but there are some towns along its banks you might enjoy. The immediate landscape around Verona is flat, but with a rental car you can drive to small hilltowns like Marostica or Bassano del Grappa (above Vicenza) in about an hour. Likewise, the rolling hills south of Padova have very old thermal bath towns like Arqua Petrarca.

Just because it is "underrated", you will probably need to dig harder to find a nice apartment for your family in Verona. Because Venice is so close to Verona and easily reached by train, you might prefer to stay in Verona the entire time and visit Venice from there rather than relocate a family of five. It would make sense to do a visit to Venice early in your stay, because you might want to visit it more than once.

UK
Level Contributor
378 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence or Verona.

Maybe not art galleries, but the teens and children would probably enjoy the Galileo Museum tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187895-i68-k580… and the Palazzo Strozzi is also worth a visit, particularly if they have an exhibition scheduled for your time in Florence.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,711 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence or Verona.

I am assuming you are taking trains? If it were me given what you have said about interests i would choose Verona. I am not sure why you are only staying one night in Venice. I would consider two nights in Verona and two in Venice! Venice is incredible and if your kids no ahead of time what awaits them, I think they could be amazed.

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
57 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence or Verona.

We are hiring a car from our landing point & return it back to the same spot. I am fully aware of ZTL zones & driving restrictions in Italy. Am thinking Verona now for full 4 nights & doing a day trip to venice, then if we like it that much we can visit again on our way to Croatia. I also think Verona gives us plenty of options of either north or south depending on weather etc.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
70 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence or Verona.

Another vote for 2 nights in Verona and 2 in Venice. It was what we did in September and it was perfect! I preferred both to Florence.

UK
Level Contributor
378 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Florence or Verona.

If choosing Verona and you have an interest in music, then the Stradivari Museum …cremona.it/PostCE-display-ceid-17.phtml in Cremona could be worth a visit.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
171 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florence or Verona.

Hello jordy12.

I have just returned from a trip to Italy. Although I don't have any experience of Verona, our family did stay in Venice and Florence. We stayed only 2 nights in Venice and felt that if our itinerary hadn't been too strict, we would have opted for another night there. One night will not be enough you need 2 minimum. And you also need to take into account what time of day you will be arriving. If you arrive say afternoon and only stay 1 night, you won't be able to see much at all. You also need to find out what time places close (museums etc). Florence has a variety of interesting places but of course they are all filled with art. We had planned to visit the no 1 places of interest for tourists before we left, but when we got there we changed our minds. Although we love art & history it can become overwhelming. I would recommend Basilica Santa Groce where the artists' tombs are which for us, was much much better than the Duomo, as there are gardens and a museum too. Recommendation for a fantatic restaurant in Florence for your family is Francesco Vini which is on the site of a colosseum. if you speak with the owner's son, Fabio and ask nicely, his dad might take you down into their cellar where you can see what used to be the walls where the gladiators were. The kids would love that. Also, there's a private collection of armoury at Stibbert Museum and although we didn't visit perhaps your family will like it. Happy planning and enjoy your trip, it will be wonderful. PS I visited San G. and it is a beautiful place but you will either need a car or ask a Tour Guide to take you on a day trip.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Florence or Verona.

Here are some things that might sway you...

A day in Venice--the kids will love this:

http://vimeo.com/40977797

And a very detailed trip report of one man's journey to Verona, and all there is to see there.

john-uk.com/Italy/ItalyDay1Friday13May.html

I have been to Venice, Verona, and Florence with kids. If you are not a museum going bunch I would focus on Verona and Venice.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Florence or Verona.

Verona gets my vote on this one. Plus Gardaland, Italy's favourite amusement park is only 40 minutes easy drive right on lake Garda - I have young teenage kids and they adored it. We did Florence and Venice (and Rome) too, as well as Verona and my kids (14 and 16) loved Verona the best - lots of great shopping if you have teenage girls too! Plus lots of history for anyone so interested. It's a tough call between Florence and Verona in some ways, -( I love Florence, but I'm a history buff) - particularly as Pisa is close to Florence and Pisa is a must see if you go to Florence (it's a half day trip) as it's SO interesting for all ages- my girls loved it: but my 16 year old adored Florence too - less so the 14 year old. If you are looking for something to please everyone in your family, I suggest Verona.

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
57 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Florence or Verona.

Thanks for all the input, it has certainly made my decision much better & 4 nights in Verona it is. We plan to do a full day trip to Venice early in our stay & weather pending & it is pretty central location to give us lots of options as to what to see & do. I hear you guys when you say 2 in verona & 2 in venice however they are not that far apart & when we look at our itinery as a whole it doesn't make sense to do that. Also we have been told you don't know the weather that time of year (march/April) so it gives us options to plan our days accordingly. I welcome more comments all information is good information.

thx