We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence and Tuscan region

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Florence and Tuscan region

Will be travelling to Florence September 2013 with 3 adults - what is best itinerary - want to spend 4 full days in Florence and 4-5 days exploring the Tuscan region - any suggestions?

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,793 Reviews
from US$112.60*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,116 Reviews
from US$112.60*
Tuscany Cooking Class, Market Tour...
1,328 Reviews
from US$122.60*
Cinque Terre Tour from Florence
696 Reviews
from US$112.60*
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence and Tuscan region

Get yourself a good guidebook - the Blue Guides are my favorites. See what peaks your interest, then come back and ask specific questions.

If it were me, I would elect to spend more time in Florence and less elsewhere - maybe six days in Florence and two or three visiting Siena, Montepulciano, Arezzo, Chiusi, etc., but that reflects my interests.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,588 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence and Tuscan region

I don't think anyone can answer your question without knowing something about why you are going, and what means "best" to you and your friends.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence and Tuscan region

I am going for pleasure - We're not that into museums, but we love walking around, exploring the architecture, food, people. I want to also explore the countryside in places like Pisa, Lucca, Montepulciano - I'm not sure where I should base myself - we are planning on spending at least 8 days in this part of Italy.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence and Tuscan region

Florence and Pisa are cities. Lucca and Montepulciano are dang big towns. If you want to explore the countryside, base yourself in any of these places, with the exclusion of Pisa but including Florence, and strike out from there!

Paciano, Italy
Level Contributor
454 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence and Tuscan region

You have not talked about whether you will rent a car & this is the easiest way to see our Italian countryside.

IF you are willing to rent a car, stay in Florence, see the sites. By train from Florence, you can day trip to Pisa & Lucca & Siena.

NOW, rent a car & travel 2 hours S on the A1 to Chiusi. Pick a place to stay in my town Paciano which is medieval, tiny, peaceful & a great "home base".

From here, you are within an hour by car to Montepulciano, Pienza, the Val d'Orcia, Assisi, Perugia, Orvieto, Lake Trasimeno. Rolling countryside, olive trees, grape orchards (& the harvest begins in late Sept), terrific local food,

no crowds!

Happy Trails

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,815 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florence and Tuscan region

When you mention Florence to most people....museums are usually the first thing that comes to mind. So maybe 4 days there needs to be re-visited.

When it comes to Tuscany...I have always thought smaller is usually better. Like Montichiello over Montalcino...

You might think of basing yourself in the country and going into the cities from there. We have done that and have great holidays...

Our last visit, we stayed here and loved it...

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
11,817 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florence and Tuscan region

sempre21, if you're going to rent a car familiarize yourself with the dreaded ZTL's, bus lanes and other laws. You don't want to return from your wonderful visit to Italy and start getting tkts 6 months later. You'll also have to visit your local AAA office and obtain an Int'l Driving Permit. They are $20.00, are good for 1 year, basicallly it translates you hold a valid USA driving license. (take a passport size photo)

Everyone has given you some wonderful locations in Tuscany. Have fun deciding.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Florence and Tuscan region

This might help you in choosing your base:

9. Re: Florence and Tuscan region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2013, 10:17
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor