We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to allocate visit between Florence, Venice, and Rome

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Asia
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How to allocate visit between Florence, Venice, and Rome

Hi, I would like to ask for your opinions as to how long we should allocate our Italy visit to Florence. I know it is difficult to say # of days in absolute terms, and therefore I'm just trying to get a relative sense. Much appreciated if you would so kindly provide some suggestions.

Trip is 3/24-4/2/13 for about 10 days. Days and duration are fixed.

Cities to visit: Florence, Venice, and Rome.

Travelers: 2 adults, one of whom is visiting Italy for the first time. We are not into museums. Just like to see around and appreciate the culture/people.

This is what I am currently thinking: We fly into Rome late 3/23/2013 and stay overnight. 3/24 morning take a high speed train to Florence arriving noon'ish. We will then use Florence as a base to do one-day tours to Cinque Terre, Pisa, and Tuscany area. So we will be staying in Florence for a total of around 4.5 days. Leave Florence for Venice 3/29 morning and leave Venice for Rome 3/31 morning, which would leave about 1.5 days in Venice total for sightseeing. We then fly out of Rome late 4/2 evening, which would mean almost 2.5 days allocated to Rome.

How does this sound?

p.s. I will also leave a similar post to Venice and Rome forums

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,915 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to allocate visit between Florence, Venice, and Rome

If you are not interested in art and architecture, then there really is little point in visiting Florence. Don't go there just because "everyone visits Florence".

In my opinion, 1.5 days is nothing like enough to see Venice.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to allocate visit between Florence, Venice, and Rome

So, 4 1/2 days Florence/Tuscany; 1 1/2 days Venice; 2 1/2 days Rome.

I agree with sydneynick, not much point in going to Venice for 1 1/2 days. Add them onto Rome.

If you are thinking of renting a car for Tuscany do read all the advice on ZTLs (limited traffic zones) and parking.

So that leaves Florence and Rome. The whole point (or at least 90% of the point) in going to these cities is for the museums and art galleries.

Asia
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to allocate visit between Florence, Venice, and Rome

Thanks guys! Hmm.....would it make better sense if we allocate 1 day away from Florence to Venice to make it 3.5 and 2.5 days, respectively? The reason why I originally allocated 4.5 days to Florence is because I want to go to Cinque Terre (day tours organized by local tour companies. we won't be driving) to see the villages and most likely Pisa as well, which will take up at least a total 1.5-2 days out of the 4.5.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to allocate visit between Florence, Venice, and Rome

Yes, I'd do that: You'll need fewer days actually in the city of Florence if you are not going to be doing all the museums/art galleries.

Very wise not to drive.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to allocate visit between Florence, Venice, and Rome

Are you already locked into flying in and out of Rome? Time-wise you would do much better flying into Venice and back out of Rome. Venice is such an easy landing. Its quick to get out of the airport, catch a bus and be in Venice in 20 minutes.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to allocate visit between Florence, Venice, and Rome

My idea also nancycinti as they would be heading in one direction. Done either way, if possible.

My idea would be Venice 3 days. Walking tour, dining on Grande Canal, San Marco Square, Rialto Bridge, I found the Secret Itineraries Tour of the Doges Palace very interesting and a great insight into the governing body of the day, not so much a museum of course all about justice, punishment, cells and prison and you get to go through the Palace as well such a contrast to the area we went through for the tour. We were there 4 days but 3 would have surficed.

Florence.DAY 4 fast train from Venice 1hr 30mins and firstly time to get to the train station. Florence in afternoon to just walk around to see the huge beautiful cathedral and perhaps the large statues in the Piazza della Signoria with the Palazzo Vecchio attached to it, which was the first home of the Medici family. Then continue on to the Ponte Vecchio and cross over the bridge of goldsmiths across the Arno.

Day 5 DayTour over to Cinque Terre.

I was told to forego Pisa as there is really not much to see but the small leaning tower there and so i can;t advise on that, but I loved Cinque Terre area. Perhaps this can be added before you head back to Florence on a tour.

DAY6 Day Tour out to the Tuscan Hills

OR You can also catch a bus out to one of the Tuscan villages San Gimignano is popular and the bus pulls outside the walls up on the hill.

OR Also you can get on a bus to Siena 1hr south and it pulls in at Piazza Gramsci then a 8min walk to the Piazza del Campo. Although the bus route is not so picturesque as I recall...so basically just visiting village or town.

Buses leave from behind the Florence train station where you'd find a depot.

Day7 Fast train to Rome takes 2 hrs or so.

Afternoon

See sights that interest you...colosseum, trevi fountain, etc. can get a metro train to these in about two or three stops...although the train station is directly across the road from the colosseum, the trevi is a walk down to.

Day 8

Whatever ...plenty to pick from.

Day 9

Interested in Roman Ruins.Caught a train out to Ostia Antica which is the ruins of a port that was abandoned over time due to floods, the change in the course of the Tiber River, wars etc. Two trains to get there one 24 hr ticket a change of trains. It was pleasant to get away from the city for a change.

Day 10 relax around Rome. Fly out.

Ifyou do it alone, eg. public buses I'd be staying close to the train stations as this is where all the transport is usually, including open air bus in Rome and public buses, metro to get to Spanish Steps (shopping and high end street) get off at Spagna stop and it is just outside.

Close to the station in Florence to use the bus to get to the prementioned village and Siena.

Venice we stayed two streets off the San Marco Square as it was handy to everything although the vaporetto was packed going back to the station and the one coming down took well over an hour when it should have been sooner.

This is a tight knit itinerary to do all this in ten days but as you say more into culture.

We just did 32 days and came down through Venice, Florence and ended in Rome. We had been there before and basically just enjoyed seeing somethings we missed and kicked back and relaxed ...that's half the fun

Enjoy

Asia
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to allocate visit between Florence, Venice, and Rome

Hi all, thank you very much for all your suggestions and advice (For some reason I did not receive email alerts for the replies, so I thought my thread had already been buried). Your willingness to share knowledge has made me even more eager to visit.

The airline we are taking only flies in and out of Rome within Italy, and only on certain days of the week. We will live with that by taking high speed trains and enjoy the scenery, if there is one.

Based on the suggestions here, we decided to skip Pisa. In addition to Cinque Terre, we will also try the Tuscan hill/villages. We will also do 3.5 days in Florence and 2.5 days in Venice instead of 4.5/1.5 originally planned.

Once again, thanks for all the feedback. I am sure I will be back soon with more questions as I plan the trip in details. :)

8. Re: How to allocate visit between Florence, Venice, and Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 22:16