We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Based in Florence for 6 Days - How to see it all?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Based in Florence for 6 Days - How to see it all?

Planning a trip to Italy and Greece in late April. We have 6 days before we have to be in Venice to meet some friends. We want to see Florence and the villages of Tuscany. Are we best to make our home base in Florence, or should we spend a night or two in the country. Also, likely to miss Rome, unless we can take a short day or overnight trip to see the highlights. HELP please??

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
933 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Based in Florence for 6 Days - How to see it all?

You could just about "see it all" to some extent if you were spending six days to see just Florence which is what I thought based on the title of your post. You won't come close to seeing it all if you are referring to all of Tuscany.

Edited: 09 December 2012, 17:45
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Based in Florence for 6 Days - How to see it all?

How do you feel about driving here? I ask because if you're going to want to explore the villages of Tuscany, you'll really want a car. Personally, I think far too much fear is instilled in visitors regarding driving and avoiding the beastly ZTL. Call me crazy - it can be done!

In any case, Florence is a great home base for your six days. There's enough here to keep you very busy. Mix that in with a day or two out in the country and your six days will fly by and you'll be wishing you could stay a month. Lucca (great little town!) and Pisa are an easy train ride away, both on the same line so a fine day trip from Florence.

I would hesitate to throw Rome into the mix. Too much!

Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Based in Florence for 6 Days - How to see it all?

I agree Rome is pushing it and don't expect to see "all of Tuscany". So should we spend a night or 2 in the country and the rest based in Florence and if so what are highlights and best base in the country. Or, again, do we just simplify and base in Florence and drive, train, or join a tour to see the highlights of the region. Currently, all transportation options work for us.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,356 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Based in Florence for 6 Days - How to see it all?

With 6 days I would really be tempted to base just in Florence and perhaps take a couple of day trips. The best day trip from Florence, in my opinion, are Siena by bus and Lucca by train. If you wanted to see some of the countryside there are many organised tour that run from Florence to the Chianti area and further afield.

If you wanted to split your time, you could stay in Florence for 3 or 4 nights and then pick up a hire car at the airport and head into Tuscany for the remainder of your time. Somewhere like Castellina or Radda make nice bases to explore Chianti. Places like Montalcino or Montepulciano make great bases for exploring the Val d'Orcia, which is the picture postcard Tuscany.

I'm of the opinion that dealing with the ZTL in Florence with a rental car is not worth the risk and stress, so I really would not advise staying in central Florence with a rental car.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,767 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Based in Florence for 6 Days - How to see it all?

6 nights is 5 days, about right for a first visit to Florence.

If you actually want to 'see Tuscany' on such a short trip I would suggest booking one of those bus trips that goes to 2 or 3 towns in Tuscany -- not ideal -- ideal would be renting a place in the countryside for a week and driving around but with very limited time, you do what you can

you could spend spend 3 or your 5 days visiting Florence attractions and spend one day on a bus trip to Siena (just grab the bus and go on your own) and book a tour for one day that gets you ought to San Gimignano, Voltera etc

6. Re: Based in Florence for 6 Days - How to see it all?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 December 2012, 10:05
7. Re: Based in Florence for 6 Days - How to see it all?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 23:17