We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what area to stay in in Florence

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
what area to stay in in Florence

my husband and I will be spending two nights in Florence at the end of April. We would like to stay somewhere within walking distance ( 10-15 minutes) of the train station but in area with some character ( markets, outdoor cafe's, etc.). We are thinking the Signoria area looks neat. Thoughts?

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,774 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what area to stay in in Florence

Florence is so compact that it doesn't really matter where you stay as everywhere is easily walkable. The Santo Spirito area in Oltrarno would tick your boxes, but so would many others. Don't get hung up about distance from the station - you can always get a taxi with your luggage if needs be.

Get a guidebook and see which area interests you - Santa Croce, Sant'Ambroglio, San Niccolò are all good. The area round Piazza della Signoria is bang in the centre and therefore more expensive than those mentioned.

California
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what area to stay in in Florence

Agree with above poster, look for good hotel. I am fan of Residenza Il Villino.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
933 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what area to stay in in Florence

I agree with above comments - focus on the specifics of the hotel/B&B. if you are in the historic center or near it (and you don't mind walking) you will be ok. The accomodation mentioned in post 2 is a place I would certainly consider staying at. As to location I would want to know if the place is on a busy street but as to the area generally - historic center or near it would be fine for me.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
951 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: what area to stay in in Florence

Only 2 days in Florence and 3 in Cinque Terre?

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: what area to stay in in Florence

Sant'Ambrogio! Great neighborhood, plenty of good places to eat and play. You'll take a cab from the station, but so what? It'll be worth it.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what area to stay in in Florence

We love to hike! Have you been to the Cinque Terre? Thoughts?

Edited: 13 December 2012, 15:55
7. Re: what area to stay in in Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 09:16