We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report April 4th-11th 2006

South Wales UK
8 posts
Save Topic
Trip report April 4th-11th 2006

My husband and I are still basking the memories of our first wonderful holiday to Italy -hopefully the first of many as we're already planning to go back next year!

We had 4 nights in Florence at the Hotel Donatello in Piazza Independenza which was small,quiet and excellent for the budget and very well placed for all the major sights.

We were pleasantly over-whelmed by the Uffizi (could have done with a few visits there - almost too much to take in for one visit)and The Accademia was great too. David is truly magnificent and so much bigger than we were expecting. We enjoyed the musical instruments museum there too being both musicians. The Duomo is breathtaking and the views from the Giotto tower over Florence wonderful! The shops were lovely too!

We ate like kings at very consistent prices . Trattoria Marios is fantastic and uniquely italian but only for lunch and get there before 12 unless you want to queue! Quatro Leoni, Acqua al Due (booking reccommended) and Dinos were all excellent too.

We then went to Lucca for 2 nights which i'd highly recommend as a very charming walled town with lots of character. San Frediano Guesthouse with just 6 rooms was just lovely and right in the centre and yet quiet. Trattoria Giulio in Pelleria which I'd booked in advance through the guesthouse was simple but fantastic.

We spent our last night in Pisa and although we enjoyed the duomo and climbed the Leaning Tower we were glad we were only there for a short time as Pisa seemed very run-down after Florence which seemed so clean everywhere in spite of all the tourism. Having said that about Pisa we had an excellent meal at Osteria dei Cavalieri which we'd booked ahead which we were glad of as people were being turned away and it was only a Monday night! I'd also recommend viewing the Campo dei Miracoli by night as it's all lit up and very few people around which was nice.

We were sad to leave Italy but we'll be back!!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Donatello
Hotel Donatello
626 Reviews
Florence, Italy
FlorenceTown
Sightseeing Tours, Cooking Classes, Bike Tours, Cultural Tours, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
Italy Cruiser Bike Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours
Italy on a Budget Tours
City Tours, Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Holmes Chapel...
Level Contributor
149 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report April 4th-11th 2006

Great trip report - thanks for posting it!!

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report April 4th-11th 2006

Welcome home, glad you had a good time and come back soon!

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report April 4th-11th 2006

Glad you had a good trip; return trips are always even more fun to plan :)

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report April 4th-11th 2006

Thanks for the report. We will be in Florence for 3 days in early June. Could you please give location for Trattoria Mario's? Thanks!!

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report April 4th-11th 2006

Trattoria mario is in Via Rosina 2, in the san lorenzo Mercato Centrale (fruit and vegetable market) area, near Via San't Antonino.

Enjoy!

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report April 4th-11th 2006

Hi, How did you find the area around the hotel donatello?

thanks