We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is late February a good time to visit?

Level Contributor
14 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Is late February a good time to visit?

We want to celebrate a special wedding anniversary in late February with a city break and I was wondering about Florence.

It's somewhere we've always wanted to visit but never got around to but I'm concerned that it's not the right time of year weatherwise.

I'd be grateful for some help in making our decision.

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,796 Reviews
from US$112.50*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,117 Reviews
from US$112.50*
Tuscany Cooking Class, Market Tour...
1,331 Reviews
from US$122.50*
Cinque Terre Tour from Florence
696 Reviews
from US$112.50*
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,747 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is late February a good time to visit?

Well, it is one of the quieter months, but the weather is unlikely to be good - even a chocolate hobbit is inlikely to melt.

I would think wet and mild to cold (or the way things are these days, it could snow or be bright and sunny. We were there in December and the temperature went from 0°-13/14° in the course of four days.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,280 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is late February a good time to visit?

Every winter in Italy is different. And one's perception of the weather depends on one's home climate.

I went to Florence to 10 days in Feb 2009. I had a great time. The weather was for me coming from a cold climate was spring-like. Spring bulbs were coming up in the garden outside our apt. in the 10 days we were there, it did not rain or snow a single day. it was warm enough that we opened the windows to our apt and got 9 mosquitoes trapped in it that we had to kill before I went to sleep.

seasonal averages for high/low for March 1 are 53 degF/40 degF

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is late February a good time to visit?

Sure. According to LaMMA, February should be average, weatherwise: 2-11°C/36-52°F. These temperatures are, of course, just average predictions and if you can say one thing about the weather in Florence in February, it's that it's unpredictable. But you'll begin to see signs of life in the gardens and window bosses, and best of all you'll have our wonderful museums, galleries and churches to yourselves.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
London, United...
Level Contributor
204 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is late February a good time to visit?

In February you cant really count on good weather. You could have anything from a week of rain to bright and even warm sunshine!

Edited: 05 January 2013, 21:45
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is late February a good time to visit?

I would go for it! As everyone says the weather is unpredictable. We visited in Feb a couple of years ago and had 1 day of rain only. The other days were mild and clear. The big advantage is the lack of crowds/queues. Personally I loved it.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
10,971 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is late February a good time to visit?

One of the most magical trips we took was last year to Venice in December. We also celebrated a very special Anniversary (35th) and wanted it to be memorable, so did not want to move the trip to be "in season." One of the best decisions made. It was peaceful and serene. It was cool, grey and drizzly at times, but we came prepared with warm coats, so not a problem at all. I am sure Florence in February would be comparable.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,500 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is late February a good time to visit?

It's a great time to visit as everywhere is still so quiet and that, for me, is the only time to visit Florence. Yes, the weather is unpredictable but whereas last year we had snow on the ground, some years in February we've sunbathed on the coast! As others have said, simply go for it.

Level Contributor
78 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is late February a good time to visit?

It can be cold, but bundle up and enjoy the lack of crowds! Off season travel > crowds and being sweaty.

9. Re: Is late February a good time to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 January 2013, 05:28
Level Contributor
14 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is late February a good time to visit?

Thank you for your prompt replies which have made us decide to go for it and enjoy the shorter queues for major sights.

Having made the decision I'm now wondering how long is needed to see all the sights and would welcome your opinions.