We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip to florence, need flight advice (UK)

Northants
Level Contributor
72 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
1st trip to florence, need flight advice (UK)

Hi, my partner and I are looking to book our first trip to florence. We normally go to rome for a few days away, but this year fancy trying somewhere new. I have started to look online for flights, but not many companies seem to go to florence from the UK. I have only found Air france, that go to Peretola airport. Am i missing something,or should i be looking at flying into a different airport? any advice would be appreciated.

regards Emma

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,557 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st trip to florence, need flight advice (UK)

Look at flights to Pisa, they are more plentiful and usually cheaper. From the airport you can take either a train or bus to Florence.

UK
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st trip to florence, need flight advice (UK)

Easyjet fly from Luton to Pisa where you catch a direct train or bus to Florence.

Meridiana Airways fly from Gatwick to Florence (Peretola)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st trip to florence, need flight advice (UK)

second Pisa -- it is considered an airport of Florence and is well connected to SMN downtown Florence train station by both bus and by train. we took the train directly to the airport for our flight to Paris from there last year.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st trip to florence, need flight advice (UK)

When?

Vueling is starting budget flights from Heathrow to Florence Peretola towards the end of March 2013. In fact they seem to be making it a hub for flights to other European destinations as well.

I found flights on their website LHR to Florence from about 21st March.

UK
Level Contributor
378 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st trip to florence, need flight advice (UK)

Direct flights to FLR (Florence airport, NOT PSA (Pisa) are Meridiana from LGW, AirFrance and City from LCY. Also, there is a codeshare BA/Alitalia LGW/FLR direct, and, as Appia writes, Vueling have said they will be doing a direct service LHR/FLR probably end March - if you book now, seats will be cheap.

Every other direct flight by any airline to what they claim is Florence actually lands at Pisa, not Florence, from where you have to get either the train or Terravision bus into Florence center.

From Northants, look at cheap flights from Birmingham to Pisa, for example Thomsonfly, or East Midlands (whatever it's called these days) or Luton, and, whoever you book with, TRY and take only carry hand luggage to keep the cost down - travel light, practice by taking your suitcase/bag around town on the bus for a couple of hours or so if you need an incentive to cut down the amount of stuff you travel with.

You have to be careful if you fly to Pisa - whoever you fly with, to ensure you catch your return flight back to the UK from Pisa, in order to get to the airport in time you should aim for a departure time around 11 a.m., though having said that, there are now Terravision busses which run early morning - have a look on the Teravision website for bus times.

Another option to check is a flight to Bologna, which is about the same distance as Pisa from Florence, but again check departure times.

Northants
Level Contributor
72 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st trip to florence, need flight advice (UK)

thanks very much to everyone for their advice. I am looking at flying with Ryanair to Pisa from Stansted. i have flown quite a lot with Ryanair, so am well used to their procedures regarding baggage allowence online check in etc. I will certainly only be taking hand luggage, their charges for putting a bag in the hold are horrendous!

thanks again

Emma

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st trip to florence, need flight advice (UK)

Bus Pisa airport to Florence www.terravision.eu

Train www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en,.html

www.discovertuscany.com

8. Re: 1st trip to florence, need flight advice (UK)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2014, 07:18