We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which day for tour?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Which day for tour?

Hi,

I need to decide between doing the Best of Tuscany Tour (Sienna, San Gimignano, and Pisa) on Friday or Monday. I know museums are closed on Monday, so is this the better day, or will most shops, etc. be closed in these small hill towns on Monday? I'm trying to maximize the amount of time I have to spend at museums in Florence, but also don't want to pick a bad day for this tour. No point going to these towns if things are closed. Definitely want that award-winning gelato in San G.

Thanks in advance to those that have enough local knowledge to assist.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which day for tour?

Does the Tour visit Siena, SG and Pisa all on one day?

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which day for tour?

Hi VacationDude -

Only the two big ones (the Uffizi and the Accademia) are closed on Mondays. Depending upon which Monday of the month it is (1st, 3rd, 5th) you'll find that the Bargello and the Museo di San Marco is open (and other state museums on the same rotation).

What else is open on Mondays? The Baptistery, the Duomo, the Campanile, Palazzo Vecchio, Palazzo Medici-Riccardi, Casa Buonarroti, the Brancacci Chapel at Santa Maria del Carmine, Museo Bardini, and then all those wonderful churches (like Santa Maria Novella, Santa Trinita ...) and this just for starters.

What's open *only* on Mondays? The museum at Orsanmichele, where you can see all the original sculptures upstairs (you see only copies on the ground floor).

So: not to throw a wrench in your plans but, perhaps, to play Devil's Advocate.

(And we would think that most shops in San Gimignano would be open on a Monday, since they are most dependent upon visitors.)

NYC
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which day for tour?

Thank you, Artviva. I will only have two full days in Florence and would like to visit Uffizi, Accademia, and Pitti Palace. If these are closed on Monday I don't believe I will have enough time on Sunday to do all three. My best bet may be to ask the tour guide if Monday is a good day. Only the tour company will know if any of the normal activities/stops will be closed on Monday.

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which day for tour?

You are most welcome, VacationDude. You do well to pace yourself.

5. Re: Which day for tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2014, 06:17