We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety for woman alone

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cyprus
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
safety for woman alone

I am coming to Florence for a conference beginning of March and I am wondering if it is better to stay at the conference hotel somewhere near ponte San Niccolo or at another place near ponte Veccio and walk to and from the conference. In the evening I will finish around 8.30 p.m. Thank you!

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety for woman alone

You will be as safe in Florence as you you would be anywhere - usual precautions taken of course. I hope to be there, myself, next Thursday and I shall be alone and walking about after dark.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety for woman alone

I've also walked around alone many times without ever feeling uneasy. Florence is very safe.

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety for woman alone

Your only danger in the historic center of Florence is overeating. Relax and enjoy it.

I love the San Niccolo area, but if I were only going to be in Florence for a few days, I might want to be slightly closer to the center.

Cyprus
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safety for woman alone

Thank you so much for your replies, I would prefer to be closer to the centre as I will not have much time for sight-seeing. One more question: how long is the walk from ponte Veccion to Ponte San Nicolo, is walking the only option? Thanks!

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety for woman alone

For future reference, it's the "Ponte Vecchio" (pronounced VEK-ee-o) - "old bridge"

From the southern end of the Ponte San Nicolo to the southern end of the Ponte Vecchio is 1.6 km (1 mile). Figure 15 - 20 minutes, if you don't stop to look at anything on the way.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safety for woman alone

Yes, I would have said a good 20 mins walk. I think the D bus line would take you from near the Ponte Vecchio to near Ponte San Niccolo in the morning, but I don't think it will take you back the other way.

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safety for woman alone

How come we see two of the same avatars on this thread? We guess you share the same taste?

We couldn't agree more with Peggy's and Lady Bracknell's advice re: safety at night. Many of us here at Artviva are women, and have no problem negotiating the centro at any time. Do remember that, from 9 (pm) to 2 (am), you can have a 10% discount on any taxi ride IF you are a woman (or women) alone ... You just have to ask for it, please, as soon as you get into the taxi.

Have a marvelous time at your conference.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: safety for woman alone

Florence isn't a big city, but as in all cities, common sense prevails. San Niccolò is a nice neighborhood that comes alive in the evening.

If you can tell us where in Florence your conference be held, we can help you with your options!

9. Re: safety for woman alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 06:16