We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Florence to Nice?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
Level Contributor
167 posts
206 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Florence to Nice?

Hi,

We plan to visit Florence in late May, then travel on to Nice. We are thinking of taking the train, but the information around is confused.

Is train from Florence to Nice a good option?

If so, which is the best site to buy tickets?

Thanks

92 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,089 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Florence to Nice?

You take Italian trains from Florence to Ventimiglia, then a local French train to Nice.

For the best prices on the Italian trains, book direct with the train operator as far ahead as possible. Tickets go on sale 4 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer. See www.lefrecce.it looking for trains from Firenze SM Novella to Ventimiglia.

There is no point trying to book these French trains online. This is a suburban service runnng every 30 minutes. There are no seat reservations (so tickets cannot sell out) and no discounts.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,115 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Florence to Nice?

On www.lefrecce.it click the British flag for English. The website will show you connections on the route through Pisa, la Spezia and Genoa. Another route is possible via Milano Centrale, but for this you must look up the trains to and from Milan separately. On the day this route is much more expensive, but booked a long time in advance it can sometimes be the cheapest.

Buy the Ventimiglia-Nice tickets for €7.10 from the station booking office in either Florence or Ventimiglia. They cannot be bought from ticket machines.

There are no other options which are reasonably priced, faster and have reasonable arrival times. A rental car could be faster, but one-way rentals into France are very expensive indeed. The Eurolines direct bus arrives at either midnight or 3 a.m. at a remote bus station near the airport. There are no direct flights.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
167 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Florence to Nice?

Thanks for this helpful info.

Bus & car are out of the question, and, if there are no direct flights, that makes our choice easy!

Cheers.

Ayr
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Florence to Nice?

Can you tell me how long this journey from Nice to Florence takes by train?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,115 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Florence to Nice?

Depends on departure time and route. But Nice-Florence takes a minimum of around 6.5 hours, and often much longer.

South Bend, IN USA
Level Contributor
184 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Florence to Nice?

My wife and I did this route this past December. First to La Spezia, then to Ventigmilia, then on to Nice. If I remember, we departed Florence about 9:30 and arrived in Nice about 7:00 in the evening. These connections worked well. I believe the connection through Milan was for the fast train which was much more expensive.

Montreal, Quebec...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Florence to Nice?

Can you tell me how the route was? Was there anything nice to look at? I am organizing this trip for my parents, and I feel like it's a long train ride. They are looking at the end of Sept, and on the website mentioned above for train tickets, nothing's available!

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,089 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Florence to Nice?

There will be trackwork between La Spezia and Corniglia in September, and train times have not yet been decided. Trenitalia has therefore blocked bookings on these trains, but has put a misleading message on its web site. The tickets are not sold out: they are not yet on sale.

Just keep checking the Trenitalia web site: there will be plenty of trains on this main line.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,115 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Florence to Nice?

Alternatively, maybe book the route to Ventimiglia via Milano Centrale which avoids the trackworks. This route must usually be booked in two separate legs (to and from Milan) and is much more expensive bought on the day. But booked in advance can sometimes be very reasonably priced, and it has one less change of train.

Milano Centrale is an interesting station in which to wait for the next train http://www.milanocentrale.it/en/

Edited: 17 July 2013, 07:36
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,115 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Florence to Nice?

If buying for nervous parents, you can get Ventimiglia-Nice Ville tickets from www.raileurope.com - but for 15 USD each when they cost only €7.10 in italy.

Reply to: Train from Florence to Nice?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted