We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Guides Asking for Your Hotel Info?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tour Guides Asking for Your Hotel Info?

Hello! My husband and I are planning a much awaited trip to Italy. We're noticing that many of the tours we try to book ask us for our hotel information, even if they aren't picking us up there. This might be my Brooklyn coming out, but it this normal? It seems a little odd and against my normal instincts. Thank you for any insight or experiences.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Guides Asking for Your Hotel Info?

What are you worried about? They may be doing it for any number of reasons - They may be wanting to have a way to confirm you are a legit customer, especially if you are not prepaying for the tour; I wouldn't give them precise info if I was staying in an apartment (i.e., apartment number at an address) but in a hotel, there is a front desk - I assume you are thinking the info is going to be given to someone who could then go and rip off your stuff from your room?

If you don't want to tell them, just say you haven't yet decided or that you are staying with friends. If you are not meeting them at the hotel, it should not be an issue for them.

Edited: 27 March 2013, 15:31
Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Guides Asking for Your Hotel Info?

They are checking that you're legit and they like to have a contact point in case they can't find you at the agreed meeting spot.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Guides Asking for Your Hotel Info?

More than checking that you're legit (personally, I've not become that cynical and I hope I never do!), guides ask for your hotel information in order to have a local contact number for you in case you need to be reached. Not every one travels here with a cell phone, and those that do often discover when they get here that their international plan isn't working and their phone is all but dead. Believe me, brightsun777, I'm a NooYawka too so I feel your skepticism. But relax - nothing nefarious going on here! ;o)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Guides Asking for Your Hotel Info?

I also don't think they are up to anything nefarious - my response was basically trying to figure out some reason someone would be concerned about giving the name of the hotel. I agree that it is likely something very benign as having contact info.

5. Re: Tour Guides Asking for Your Hotel Info?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2014, 05:16