We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking distance

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
walking distance

I will be arriving in Florence at the Maria Novella Railway Station and picking up a rental car from Hertz on Via Borgo Ognissanti 137/R.

Could you tell me how long it might take to walk that distance? Are there hills involved? I will have a suit case on wheels with me. Would it be wiser to get a cab?

If I am able to leave my luggage with the car rental company. I would like to spend a couple of hours looking around and catch a bite of lunch. Are there any free attractions that aren't too far away by foot?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,266 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking distance

The walk is probably just under 10 minutes on flat roads. It's fairly simple and straightforward.

I would not leave my luggage with the car rental company even if they agree to hold it. Use the left luggage facility at the train station instead.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking distance

Thank you for that information.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,266 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking distance

Also, please make sure you understand the risk of driving into ZTL (restricted traffic zones). Transgressions result in heavy fines. Getting out of central Florence isn't difficult, but coming back in could be challenging.

See below for more info:

roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy

Edited: 02 April 2013, 07:14
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: walking distance

Borgo Ognissanti is a one way street that leads away from the ZTL, not towards it. You have to work hard to wander into the ZTL as you leave Florence. Getting back to Borgo Ognissanti is a bit complicated, but thousands upon thousands of rental-car-driving people do it all the time without harming themselves. To help you avoid entering the ZTL, the City of Florence has installed big, bright, internationally recognizable traffic signals at the entrance points. Red for DO NOT ENTER, green for COME ON IN. Follow the directions you'll get from Hertz and you'll be fine.

Good idea to leave your luggage at the station. The auto rental companies don't have facilities for checked luggage. Right across the Piazza della Stazione is the basilica of Santa Maria Novella with its exquisite facade by Leon Battista Alberti, and inside works by Masaccio, Donatello, Giotto, Bronzino, Botticelli, Brunelleschi to name a few. Don't miss seeing the Museo di Santa Maria Novella (seperate entrance and ticket) for the "Green Cloyster" with frescoes by Paolo Uccello, and the Spanish Chapel with it's mysterious and power-packed frescoe cycle by Andrea di Buonaiuto.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,633 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking distance

Get clear instructions on how to leave the city without entering the ZTL and also keep a good eye out for bus lanes which are also policed by camera and heavy fines. The walk itself from Santa Maria Novella isn't more than a 10 minute stroll. There aren't many free attractions in Florence except some of the churches and of course walking the streets and taking in the glorious architecture. The historic centre of Florence is very small, so you could certainly have a pleasant walk around it.

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walking distance

flutterbug:

The walk from the Santa Maria Novella station to Hertz is not long, but it is a bit complicated, and the area is almost always more than a tad hectic. Directions might make it sound more complicated than it is, but the online maps don't do a good job either. So here goes.

In brief, you want to go almost due south from the railroad station to the Borg'Ognissanti, which is a street running parallel to the river, one block north of it. The streets almost, but not quite, line up for you.

When you get off the train, head straight into the station until you get to the front end of the trains, at a concourse perpendicular to the trains. Turn right and head towards the side of the station. You will see a doorway with a short flight of steps down to a busy street, the Via Allamanni, which has tram tracks running along it.

Descend the flight of steps and cross the Via Allamanni. Almost directly opposite the steps, you will see a small street not quite perpendicular to the Via Allamanni, the Via Santa Caterina da Siena. Follow it for a short block to its end at the Via della Scala.

Cross the Via della Scala. Careful! Traffic here is horrendous. Take a very short jog to your right, for just a meter or two, and then turn left into the narrow Via dell'Albero. Follow the Via dell'Albero for a relatively long block until it meets the Via Palazzuolo.

Continue straight across the Via Palazzuolo, where the Via dell'Albero changes names and becomes the much wider Via Maso Finiguerra. Continue straight to the end of the block at the Borg'Ognissanti.

Cross the Borg'Ognissanti and turn right. Follow it for about a half block, and the Hertz office will be on your left, almost across the street from the large Europa Garage, which is where they (and Avis and Budget, etc., etc.) all keep their cars.

Again, it sounds worse than it is, but if you look at a map, you will see that it really isn't so bad. With a rolling suitcase, it shouldn't take you more than about seven minutes.

Do pay attention to sammyfloyd's advice. You do not want to run afoul of Florence's complicated driving rules - including both the ZTL and the restricted bus lanes.

Where are you driving to?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: walking distance

I have read about the ZTL. Hopefully, we won't run into any of them. We will be taking the train back to Florence and dropping the car off in Siena. Thank you for your suggestions of things to see within walking distance of the train station.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: walking distance

Thank you for your directions from the railway station to the car rental. I appreciate your help. Are all the bus lanes in Florence for buses only?

We are going to B&B just south of Siena. A very helpful person on Tripadvisor has provided us with a route out of Florence and suggested a scenic route on la Chiantigiana, with a stop at San Gimginano.

9. Re: walking distance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2014, 06:16