We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italo Trains to Florence

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
alberta
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Italo Trains to Florence

We are planning to train from Sorrento to Florence. Italo has now been running for 9 months ( I think). So far, are they as good as high speed TrenItalia? Question 2:I have not been able to make a 10 day advanced booking on their website. Is it me (the dunce), or is it the Italo system?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,915 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italo Trains to Florence

Reports on ItaloTreno so far have been positive, but I don't think there is all that much difference between Trenitalia and ItaloTreno.

At the moment, you should be able to make bookings up to early June. Maybe there was a glitch in the system.

But you cannot book from Sorrento to Florence on Trenitalia or ItaloTreno. The trains from Sorrento to Naples are run by a separate company, and tickets for that journey are not available online. You have to book Naples to Florence.

United States
Level Contributor
9,587 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italo Trains to Florence

I took the Italo train from Florence to Rome recently and thought they were very nice. There seems to be lots of staff around at either end to give a hand or answer questions.

TAB

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,303 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italo Trains to Florence

The one thing to remember about Italo is that in big cities they often leave from less popular stations.

…blogspot.com/2012/12/italo-trains-italys-ne…

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Italo Trains to Florence

Italo, in my experience, is much nicer than the Trenitalia Freccia. I find the trains to be nicer, cleaner and the staff extremely well trained and efficient.

From Naples, Italo leaves from the ever-popular Napoli Centrale station. It arrives in Florence at the much loved Santa Maria Novella station.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Italo Trains to Florence

I agree with Eugene. I have been travelling with Italo for months and I am absolutely satisfied.

Trains are brand new, staff really professional and helpful, good loyalty programme, fares usually a bit cheaper than trenitalia and, unlike Trenitalia, you can wait for your train at Casa Italo.

Only tickets until June 8th can be booked at the moment.

If you travel with Italo to or from Florence you are also allowed to travel for free on Ataf buses for 24 hours (before departure or after arrival).

alberta
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italo Trains to Florence

Thanks to all for your useful advice. Italo it is, but I still cannot get my advance reservation to work from Canada.

I plan to go to Napoli on day 1, see the Archeological museum and make a booking from the central station.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,296 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italo Trains to Florence

there is no reason this would not work from Canada. Could it be the browser you are using?

Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Italo Trains to Florence

Is your credit card microchipped?

Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Italo Trains to Florence

Is your credit card microchipped?

North American credit cards generally won't work in Europe.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Italo Trains to Florence

Actually, North American credit cards work just fine in Europe. Try clearing your browser's cache.