We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to decide 5 hotels nights between Florence & Venice?

United States
Level Contributor
81 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
How to decide 5 hotels nights between Florence & Venice?

We are planning to visit Florence and Venice on our Europe trip.

We plan to spend 3 nights in Florence and 2 nights in Venice.

However, we wonder if we should five 4 nights to Florence and 1 night to Venice instead.

Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,702 reviews
from US$112.10*
Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan...
1,317 reviews
from US$122.10*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
296 reviews
from US$99.70*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,082 reviews
from US$112.10*
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,138 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to decide 5 hotels nights between Florence & Venice?

I thought you were going to spend 5 nights in Rome and 1 or 2 in Venice. Again, 1 night in a location means you only have a few hours to explore.

Donna

United States
Level Contributor
81 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to decide 5 hotels nights between Florence & Venice?

6 night in rome to include Pompeii

3 nights florence

2 night Venice

Just not sure to add 1 more night to florence by taking 1 from Venice.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
300 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to decide 5 hotels nights between Florence & Venice?

I just visited Rome, Florence, and Venice at the end of March... spend 2 nights in Venice, at least. We were in Florence for 2 nights and Venice for 3. Loved Venice! It's a very pretty, relaxing place. We appreciated the extra full day as we spent it on the islands of Murano and Burano. Visit Burano if you can... such a unique place! Both can be accessed by the vaporetto - the 'public transportation' in Venice.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to decide 5 hotels nights between Florence & Venice?

I'd actually recommend taking one night from Rome (so 5 nights there), then doing at least 3 in Florence (4 is better if yiu want to see Tuscany on a daytrip) and 2 in Venice. What are your special interests? When are you traveling and any kids?

Thank you,

Leila

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,662 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to decide 5 hotels nights between Florence & Venice?

One night in Venice isn't enough. If that is all the time you have, then I would stick with 3 in Florence and 2 in Venice.

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to decide 5 hotels nights between Florence & Venice?

Obviously you're asking questions about taste.

Here's my totally idiosyncratic take on your questions.

Rome has far and away the largest collection of spectacular things to see anywhere. If you spent every day you have just in Rome, you wouldn't have anywhere near enough time to even scratch the surface.

Florence has the largest collection in Italy of great things to see inside and out - after Rome. Again, you simply won't have time to scratch the surface - but in four days you'll come a whole lot closer than in three.

For me, Venice has three attractions:

First and foremost, it is an exotic, somewhat amusing place to explore - especially on foot. (Yes, you can walk all around the city.)

Second, If you have a thing for the Venetian School of painting, it is, of course, the Mecca.

Third, if you have the time, the Venetian outback - taking a boat to the islands of Burano and Torcello are a relaxing way to spend a few hours.

But on the whole, I do not admire Venice. The city never produced the kind of intellectual excitement of Florence. The architecture is fancy but not good. There is almost no significant sculpture. The place is now essentially Europe's answer to Disneyworld. The population has dwindled to something less than 60,000 (from over 100,000 around the year 1300), and the vast majority of them work in the tourist trade. the city is essentially dead.

In short, I agree with Edward Gibbon, who said, in 1789, that Venice affords one “a momentary surprise, which soon gives way to satiety and disgust.”

I have been to Venice any number of times during the past 50-some years, for as long as a week or more. The best visit I ever had was taking the train to Santa Lucia, taking the vaporetto to the Piazzale. Taking the vaporetto back to Santa Lucia, and leaving on the next train.

Now for all the brickbats.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to decide 5 hotels nights between Florence & Venice?

No brickbats.

I hadn't given a opinion because the OP gave no indication of their interest in galleries or museums. I have very little tolerance for paintings or sculptures so I can spend 4 days in Florence, but I need to spend each afternoon driving out of Florence into the Tuscan countryside to relieve the boredom. On the other hand, I love Venice because of the narrow walkways, canals and surprises around the corners. I can spend a week there without being bored.

So, it really depends on what your interests are. Personally, for me, 2 days Florence, 3 days Venice. However, I can easily acknowledge that for others, 5 days in Florence would not be enough.

On our last visit to Florence, the Uffizi was closed because of a strike, and while my wife was disappointed, I was quietly jumping for joy.

Edited: 19 April 2013, 10:23
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,124 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to decide 5 hotels nights between Florence & Venice?

there is always a diversity of interest because we are not all the same.Lots of people on here describe plans that I would absolutely detest. But the OP's question wasn't asking for a ranking, but for a way of allocating precious days. The answer to that question, it seems to me, can be found in the very first response above: it's almost never smart traveling to spend only one night at a destination. You can't possibly find out if a place interests you in one night; all you can do is engage n the sort of fly-by tourism that's not rewarding. I am not a big Venice fan, but I say if you are going there, stay at least 2 days. And I would say the same for anywhere else, with the limited exception of places that are truly single site type towns, and even then only if it's important to stay over for "positioning."

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to decide 5 hotels nights between Florence & Venice?

NY:

You say, " it's almost never smart traveling to spend only one night at a destination. You can't possibly find out if a place interests you in one night; all you can do is engage n [sic] the sort of fly-by tourism that's not rewarding."

I think there are lots of exceptions. There are many places that are tourist-traps during the day and magical at night. We have enjoyed spending one night in places like Mont St Michel, Carcasonne, Chichen-itza, and on and on. I think spending two nights in any of them would have been excessive.

While I do not enjoy packing and unpacking on a daily basis, there are lots of places where I think one night is perfect. If one wants to see more of Venice than riding up and down the Grand Canal would provide, I think it fits perfectly into the one-night-stand category.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,124 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to decide 5 hotels nights between Florence & Venice?

I acknowledged there are exceptions, but I actually never stayed over in MSM or Carcasonne, though I stayed not too far in both cases. I think Venice is more "magical" for some than it is for me, but I don't think a first visit of 1 day is enough to decide. And I DO think it deserved more than the fly by visit you suggest. But as I also said, we are all different.