We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence in about six hours

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
207 reviews
Save Topic
Florence in about six hours

Hi,

In May, i'm going to have six hours spare in Florence.

Florence is a city I have always wanted to visit. Even though I have limited time there, I want to use this time as a positive. What are the main things I should see in six hours?

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,221 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence in about six hours

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187895-c148104/Flore…

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence in about six hours

Just walk around the historic center and soak up as much as you can. You don't have enough time to stick your head in any door.

If it were me, I would start that the Piazza della Signoria. Walk around, look at the sculpture, head north along the Via dei Calzaiouli to Orsanmichele. Walk around it and look at the sculpture and the neighboring buildings. Continue north to the cathedral and the baptistery. Walk around them. Note the sculpture. Continue north on the Via dei Martelli for one block to the Palazzo Medici-Riccardi. Turn left onto the Via Gori and walk to the Medici church of San Lorenzo. Continue alongside the church, through the San Lorenzo market to the end of the church, at the Via del Canto de Neri, turn left and walk past the Medici tombs and into the Via del Giglio. Continue straight across the Via Panzani to the Via dei Banchi. Turn right and follow into the glorious medieval Piazza Santa Maria Novella. Walk with your back to the church and take the street running south, the Via dei Fossi, which takes you to the river. Cross the river on the Ponte alla Carraia. Turn left onto the Via Guicciardini and follow until it comes to an end at the Via Maggio. Turn right, walk one block and turn left onto the Borgo San Jacopo. Follow until it ends at the Ponte Vecchio, and then turn left.

If you have time left, take a taxi or bus up to the Piazzale Michelangelo or the church of San Miniato al Monte for rather nice views of the town. If you have time, grab a sandwich or two and a gelato or two and a glass of wine or two. Start planning a longer visit.

3. Re: Florence in about six hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2014, 05:16