We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chianti wine tasting trip? 15 euro?

bodmin
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Chianti wine tasting trip? 15 euro?

I have read that the tourist office runs a 15 euro wine tasting day trip that has had a lot of good reviews on here. However I cannot find anywhere with more information. Does anyone know if this tour is still running?

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,061 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chianti wine tasting trip? 15 euro?

Since Florence s the capital of Chianti, I suggest you check with the tourist office You could find their email address on line and inquire. If you have a hotel locally, you could also ask the concierge.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
414 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chianti wine tasting trip? 15 euro?

This seems pretty cheap, I've done a Chianti tour with a large group and I think it was around 50 Euro, it wasn't very satisfying though as I felt a little like cattle being herded around. I've also done a tour with a good company The Tuscan Wine School and this was a truly amazing experience and well worth paying the extra, reviews are here on trip advisor.

bodmin
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chianti wine tasting trip? 15 euro?

Thanks, i have read countless forums on here about wine tasting trips, and the 15 euro coach trip was raved about. Apparently it was heavily subsidised by the tourist board which is why it is so cheap but the last update i could find was in 2010 and the link to the tourist office has no info which has led me to believe this promotion must be over. I have looked into lots of other tours and am thinking of visiting Castello di Verrazzano by bus from Florence as that seems fairly simple for their wine and food experience package. Has anyone else done this recently? Your review would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chianti wine tasting trip? 15 euro?

The ride to and from the Castello di Verrazzano is probably fun and interesting.

Of course you can taste their products in the very heart of Florence at their cantinetta, which is a great spot for breakfast or a light lunch or a snack.

http://www.verrazzano.com/en/the-place/

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,658 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chianti wine tasting trip? 15 euro?

The 15 euro tour doesn't seem to be running any more.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,891 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chianti wine tasting trip? 15 euro?

Why not take the public bus to Greve in Chianti where there are numerous options for wine tasting, including the excellent Le Cantine - http://www.lecantine.it

Lots of very good restaurants for lunch here too. En route, shortly before coming into Greve itself, you pass through the village of Greti where you'll see enoteca for the Castello Verrazzano that Uncle Tomaso refers to as it's right on the main road. It is a nice ride through pretty countryside.

Edited: 08 May 2013, 17:14
Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chianti wine tasting trip? 15 euro?

We participated in the aforementioned tour in 2010. I don't think the tourist board backed (subsidized) it after that year. I have to say it was marvelous, affordable, and the tour guide excellent.

We visited two wineries and a couple of craft guilds offering marvelous products.

Now, you'll probably need to seek out one of the guides who does private tours.

bodmin
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chianti wine tasting trip? 15 euro?

Thankyou everyone for your help, I have decided to take the bus to greve from florence and stop off at castello verrazzano for lunch and tastings because the reviews are so good. Hopefully have some time to visit greve by bus also before returning to florence :)

Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chianti wine tasting trip? 15 euro?

alworth... When is/was your trip? I'll be visiting Florence at the beginning of October and would be interested in doing this same trip, using public transportation to visit either one or both of Castello di Verrazzano or Le Cantine. If you've already done your trip, can you share details about how it worked out for you, your route between locations, etc (i.e. time wise, was it possible to do both in one day via public transport, etc).

Thanks!

bodmin
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chianti wine tasting trip? 15 euro?

I am going to Florence in august and my trip to Castello Di Verrazzano is booked for August 31st.

I will post about my trip when i return in september. I hope this will not be too late to be helpful to you. I am doing the wine and food experience tour which is about 3 hours starting at 12noon so not sure what else we will fit in (or feel like fitting in!) after that, but I am hoping to at least see some of greve.

Will keep you posted!

:)