We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence in a day

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Florence in a day

Hi there,

My husband and i are travelling to Italy, in two weeks and are only spending one day and night in Florence. We were hoping for some advice on what to do in a day and recommendations for hotels.

We are staying five nights in rome and were considering staying for four nights and spending two nights in florence before we head off for venice for two days and a night but are a bit confused on what to do.

Can we see some nice sites in Florence in one day or are we pushing our luck??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence in a day

4 nights in Rome is plenty. I would spend 2 nights in Florence, for sure. One day is not enough time for Florence.

We spend 2 nights, 3 days in Rome ourselves but needed another day to get to the Forum and a few other things. We concentrated on St Peters, Colloseum, Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain area's.

Florence has the Academia, Uffizzi, Pitti Palace, Duomo, San Lorenzo market and church, Santa Croce Church, Santa Maria Novella Church, Ponte Vecchio, (Piazzale Michelangelo, Fiesole, both great views of Florence).

All this can't be done in 2 days but you can pick and choose what to see.

New York
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence in a day

Wow, tough decision,

I would probably lean towards another day in Florence.

5 days in Rome is a nice amouont of time to have. But 1 day in Florence will be so rushed. My first trip there was for 2 1/2 days and I immediately came home and booked a trip back for 6!

In Florence I would recommend making resservations for the Uffizzi and the Accademia. It will help you avoid long(especially at the Uffizzi) lines.

The Duomo, The Baptistry, The Duomo museum behind the duomo is interesting. It holds alot of the things that have been removed and replaced from the Duomo itself over the years.

The Ponte Vecchio, Pitti Palace, The Boboli Gardens, Medici Chapel.

Yeah I'd definately say that your pushing it in one day.

I stayed in the De La Ville in Florence. It wasn't my favorite hotel. Actually I found the service lacking,OK the Concierges were downright rude and couldn't be bothered. But it is a very central location and the rooms were very clean. So if you are in a spot and go at it knowing the sevice might not be good it's fine.

australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence in a day

thanks guys, think we will have to stay two nights in florence.

Any recommendations on hotels in florence???? we have spent forever trying to find hotels in rome and every time we found one in our budget the reviews on tripadvisor for the hotel were terrible!!! so we've had enough of researching hotels and we have two weeks to book everything, nothing like last minute organisation!!!!

p.s we finally decided on the HOtel Hiberia in Rome but haven't booked it yet, anyone got any advice on this hotel??

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence in a day

We lived in Florence so unfortunately I can't comment on hotels very much. I know the very expensive ones.

Have a great vacation.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence in a day

What is your budget?

Long Beach, New York
Level Contributor
307 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florence in a day

You need at least three days in Florence. You can try the Davanzati (ask for Fabarizio and tell him I sent you). I lived for two and a half years in Italy (Rome) as a major newspaper's bureau chief and if anything, don't short-change yourself by cutitng your stay in Florence which is a marvelous city. Much, of course, depends on your interests. If they're not galleries, museums, and jewlery shopping, perhaps Florence is not for you.

australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Florence in a day

budget wise probably between three and four star hotel no more than $300 Australian Dollars, which is say around $180 Euro.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Florence in a day

So the Davanzati is off budget, and it's also almost fully booked around the 20th.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
214 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Florence in a day

I would stay four nights in rome

and two nights in florence.

It is quite beautiful and relaxing in florence.

Venice is much more commercialized...

All three are quite different from each other.

You will enjoy your trip....

Bring good comfortable walking shoes

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Florence in a day

Hi!

I just returned from Italy with my husband - and I would say that 4 nights in Rome is plenty - and definitely do 2 nights in Florence - it's beautiful. Call ahead for the Accadamia and Uffizi - you need about a month ahead reservations (no joke!). We stayed at the Borghese Palace Art Hotel (literally we were just there last week) and loved it. It's a fabulous new hotel right in the heart of the city - but not too busy. I highly recommend it!!

Have a wonderful trip!

Dawn