We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Storms and Lightening?

London, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Storms and Lightening?

Hi all

We are going to Florence and I have just had a peek at the weather and it seems it will be hot but there will be lightening and storms whilst we are there (Thu-Sat) :-(

I'm a tad stressed about what to bring clothes wise?

Will this weather stop us from doing any of the sights?

Thanks.x

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,699 reviews
from US$111.90*
Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan...
1,313 reviews
from US$121.90*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
296 reviews
from US$99.50*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,080 reviews
from US$111.90*
Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Storms and Lightening?

It's a slightly unfortunate combination - heat and rain. So fairly light clothes but a good umbrella. Shoes that you don't mind getting wet or watertight hiking boots ( ! the pavements of Florence can be quite rugged). Usually these thunderstorms pass quite quickly. None of this will prevent you from seeing the sights.

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Storms and Lightening?

Do not, do not, do not get the impression that the weather forecasts for Florence are all that reliable. Carry a light umbrella and/or something to wear that is also light and waterproof - but do not be surprised if you don't have to use them.

Also, as always, pay attention to where you are in Florence - there are always great places to pop into to get out of the rain: Museums, art-stuffed churches, shops, cafes, etc. It can be a good way to discover something you might not otherwise get to enjoy.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Storms and Lightening?

I was in Florence for the last ten days and checked the weather forecast every morning. Most days said rain sometimes up to an 80% chance. It only showered twice and for only 5-10 minutes. Make sure you carry an umbrella because if you don't you will get pestered by all the street people selling umbrellas. As for clothes, dress in layers.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,116 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Storms and Lightening?

But storms aren't a major issue in Florence, are they? It's just a lot of noise and you get a bit wet, surely? Unlike here in the countryside where, at the merest hint of thunder, ENEL pull the power and we're plunged into darkness.

Edited: 10 May 2013, 17:46
Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Storms and Lightening?

In Florence, rain usually means Total Downpour Lasting about 5 Minutes. The other day we were in Piazza del Duomo when said occurred. We ducked into the cathedral and exited about 15 minutes later. Naturally, it had stopped raining.

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Storms and Lightening?

It can rain really long and really hard. That isn't normal at this time of year. But who knows what the new "normal" is.

As for losing electricity because of rainstorms, as I gather it does in Montepulciano, I simply don't remember that happening in Florence, other than, of course 4 November 1966, et seq.

London, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Storms and Lightening?

Hi all

Thanks so much, you've all made me feel better and am not as worries as I was - I won't let a little rain dampen my trip.xx

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,116 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Storms and Lightening?

Never forget, Love & Smiles, the famous line advertising Barbours "there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes" so come prepared suitably packed. Re Florence weather, goodness, I know it can bucket down and now I think about it more, I remember one autumn morning driving down from Fiesole and entire branches off trees were being brought down in the storm, the street was awash with water, abandoned cars / the number 7 bus, etc, the scene resembled a battle ground. But here in the countryside, the tendency for the electricity to be cut as soon as it rains heavily or there's thunder can be really disturbing for visitors. Position flash lights strategically around the house and keep lots of candles.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
45 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Storms and Lightening?

I just came back from Florence and it started to rain yesterday after two sunny days. To be honest, it shall not be a problem if it rains during your visit as you can enjoy a romantic Florence. What you need to do is to bring your rain coat or umbrella and check the weather forecast daily - www.tempoitalia.it

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Storms and Lightening?

There are multiple websites to check.

Others that we look at include:

http://www.ilmeteo.it/meteo/Firenze

and

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3176959?day=2

They are all inconsistent with one-another and equally dependable - which means they are not very dependable.