We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family tour in Florence and surroundings

Cali, Valle del...
1 post
Save Topic
Family tour in Florence and surroundings

Hi all... Next month I'll be going to Italy with 12 members of my family after a cousin's wedding in Spain. We will spend 5 nights in Florence and I wanted to take them at least in two day tours to the towns nearby since half of the group have been to Florence before so I think we won't need the entire 6 days in Florence. Besides Sienna, San Gimigniano and Pisa, what other towns or activities do you recommend?

I've found vans to rent but want to know if you recommend some guide or tour operator to rent a vehicle for the entire group (small coach), so we don't have to worry about driving and parking. We are no fans of big tours since we like some freedom to stop in the road and eat where we want.

Thanks for any tips!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
FlorenceTown
Sightseeing Tours, Cooking Classes, Bike Tours, Cultural Tours, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
Italy Cruiser Bike Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours
Italy on a Budget Tours
City Tours, Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family tour in Florence and surroundings

Florence, like most urban settlements in Italy, operates a limited traffic zone. You need to know about this if you plan to drive in Italy:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c140065/Tusca…

Milano
Level Contributor
4,248 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family tour in Florence and surroundings

You may include in your tour Pisa (Piazza dei miracoli), Lucca, Pitigliano, Volterra.

Driving but especially parking in Florence is not easy especially in the center where some areas are not accessible to cars. Outside the town is generally easy, roads are good and June is not yet the peak touristic season therefore in the small towns parking should be easier.

If you can modify your reservation it may be better to find an accomodation out of Florence for the days you want to visit Tuscany.

Mentioned in this post
Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family tour in Florence and surroundings

You might want to look at Tau Touring (based in Lucca). We've had such grand luck with repeated booking with this group and I believe they have a vehicle that would accommodate your group. They will supply a van and driver.....but you'll find that their driver are so well-versed and hospitable that you don't need an additional "guide".

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family tour in Florence and surroundings

Oops.....should be driverS (....are so well versed).

5. Re: Family tour in Florence and surroundings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 06:16