We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Rome airport to Florence

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gahanna, Ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
Best way to get from Rome airport to Florence

How much does a ticket from the airport train from FCO which goes to TIBURTINA cost & how often do they run? Is this the best way to get to Florence from the airport? I don't want to buy the tickets ahead of time in case our flights is late & I don't know how long it takes to get through customs either. There are 3 adults traveling in early September. The flight should be in around 7:30 am. We are traveling light & on a budget. This is our first trip to Europe. Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,031 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Rome airport to Florence

when you get to FCO buy a ticket on the fast train from Termini to Florence (takes 90 minutes) at the airport train station at FCO -- they will sell you an airport express train ticket which will take you to Termini and a ticket for the first fast train that goes from Termini to Florence Santa Maria Novella. By waiting to buy when you arrive, you don't need to worry about a late plane. We have done this several times. By buying the ticket at the airport station you avoid the long and confusing lines at Termini.

I don't think there are trains from Tibertina to Florence -- you need to go to Termini the main train station of Rome.

Edited: 03 June 2013, 03:45
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,187 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Rome airport to Florence

ItaloTreno runs trains from Rome Tiburtina to Florence.

To get to Tiburtina from FCO, take the FR1 suburban train (not the Leonardo Express). I think the cost is €8.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,378 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Rome airport to Florence

It makes more sense to go through Roma Termini instead of Tiburtina. There are direct Frecciarossa trains from Tiburtina to Florence as well, but they run much less often than the ones from Termini. Your overall travel time from FCO to Florence can easily be an hour less going through Termini.

Gahanna, Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Rome airport to Florence

I did notice that the Italo trains that pick up at Tiburtina are much cheaper, $28 + 8 euro from the airport as opposed to the train you pick up at Termini that runs about 44 euro + the 14 euro from the airport. I really appreciate everyones assistance.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,378 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Rome airport to Florence

Look on Trenitalia for schedules departing from both stations. Having said that, it might not help your cause much to catch a direct Tiburtina train to Florence since you can't control flight arrival, immigration and luggage collection time.

6. Re: Best way to get from Rome airport to Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 06:16