We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence - going on my own?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Florence - going on my own?

I am a 19 year old girl who speaks italian and am looking to go for a few days away to Florence on my own as I have the chance to live there next year and want to experience it first. Would it be safe for me to go on my own? Could anyone recommend any cheap, safe hotels/hostels?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,611 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence - going on my own?

Very safe. I have often wandered about by myself and have never felt anything other than completely safe. As with most places the train station can attract a few seedy types late at night, so perhaps don't stay right by it, but anywhere else in the historic centre should be fine.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence - going on my own?

Me too. There is crime, most of which never reaches the foreign papers, you do have to be careful in certain areas as Peggy points out, but an opportunity to live in this fabulous city is something you must not turn down. What is bringing you to Florence - studies, a job? Whoever is arranging for you to be there is the best person to help you find accommodation as they'll no doubt have contacts. The schools in particular are extremely good at this. If you can afford to, try and stay as close to the city centre as you can as, like all cities, there are some dodgier suburbs where women on their own may not feel too comfortable returning to late at night. Some of the late night trains also can be a bit iffy. There's also a big foreign student scene in the city, which brings with the usual associated issues, but they'll be no worse than anything you come across at home. I don't have the statistics to hand but would imagine Florence rates quite favourably as a safe place to live compared to a UK city of a similar size.

3. Re: Florence - going on my own?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2014, 05:17