We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accademia bookings

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
330 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Accademia bookings

I forgot to book my accademia tickets before I left home and now there are no times available for tues which I can attend in my limited time (I'm only there Monday with train leaving Tuesday 3.30pm). Should we just turn up at opening time and line up?

Alternatively, My accommodation made a reservation for me but only time available was at 14.00 but our train leaves at 15.30 so that doesn't really give enough time. but my dd has been looking forward to seeing Michalangelo's David, so do you think we'd have enough time to see just that and still get to the train station in time (catching a taxi i suppose)? Our b&b is near the duomo.

Thanks for any help.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Accademia bookings

You have a better chance of getting in without a reservation late in the day, like 5:30ish, though you'll probably still have to wait 40-45 minutes.

As for solution #2, what about taking later train? Once you're in, you'll want to savor David, take some time to really "get" him.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
330 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accademia bookings

Thanks. Our train time is the latest we could do to get to the port in time for ferry. We have a 2pm reservation for Accademia, with our train leaving at 3,30pm! So my dh doesn't think we have enough time and wants to skip the museum but I don't and can't let it go. I'm so annoyed I forgot to book. . I know it's not ideally enough time to see David in half an hour, but I'd rather that than nothing. It's not looking likely though unless they have left luggage at the museum as we'd have to catch a taxi straight to the train station afterwards.

Does anyone know if there's anywhere to leave a small suitcase there?

Edited: 23 June 2013, 15:18
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,416 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accademia bookings

the reservation line is long and having a 2 pm booking doesn't mean you will zip right in at 2 -- this one is really a non-starter given the high stakes of your train and your luggage, so I would try going late in the day and lining up the day before. it is worth it.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,410 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accademia bookings

The trouble is that the day before is a Monday, I think. You could start queuing before it opens in the morning on the Tuesday - good luck!

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accademia bookings

You could also try to get last-minute same-day tickets at the ticket booth at Orsanmichele. Friends of ours have never come away unticketed. Hit that ticket booth upon arrival on Monday and see what the next day will bring.

And all advice above is beyond sound, says we. Tuesdays are normally a zoo, as most state museums are closed on Mondays. Irdisregardless [sic] of the time.

We, too, like the later train idea. But why don't you wait to see what happens on Monday? It could make all the difference in your travel plans. Like: you could go to the Accademia, and catch your train in a timely fashion. Indeed, you could leave your luggage at the baggage check inside the station; just remember to allow time for the fact the sometimes, esp. at this time of year, lines ain't short to collect said gear.

We hope this helps, and wish you luck.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
330 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accademia bookings

I hadn't heard of the ticket booth at Orsanmichele but it is close to my accommodation so will definitely check that out, thanks for the tip artviva!

Our hotel reserved the 2pm tickets for us and said there wasn't anything earlier. I was going to try to make it but agree now that it's just not do-able at that time as we can't risk missing our last train. However, tomorrow morning I'll go to the Orsanmichele booth and see if they have something earlier in the day - I can only try! Do they sometimes have tickets if the phone booking system doesn't?

7. Re: Accademia bookings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 06:17