We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is returning Rented Car at Florence Airport Advisable?

I've read some pretty scary stories here on tripadvisor of travellers finding great difficulty in locating the correct drop off location for returning rental cars at Peretola airport. Would anyone care to share your recent experience of returning a car in Florence?

I also read some about some scams related to renting via Thrifty -their prices do seem to be the cheapest though and I like the idea of the Zero Excess option made available for them via autoeurope.com. Would it be safe to still go ahead with Thrifty since I will be booking (and paying upfront) through autoeurope i.e an agent?

Any help or advice would be most welcome!

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is returning Rented Car at Florence Airport Advisable?

Hello...I purposedly went on line as I've wanted to alert anyone returning a car to Florence to be prepared and not have the bad experience we had. (I also had read some of the previous reports..so thought I'd be okay with our GPS- NOT!!!) Our travel agent had gotten us a room near the airport after a wonderful 10 day visit to Italy...we had our rental car only three days (prior to that we were on a group tour). If I was to do it again, I'd return the car during daylight hours and take a taxi to the airport in the morning. We had a GPS but with the many round-abouts, the terrible signage (or lack of); it took us over 45 minutes at 5am to find the return lot which is located probably within a mile of the airport, but we could NOT find it. We were not the only ones, as we met other ppl at the airport before & after our experience. One gentlemen dropped his wife off w/ their luggage and took off to try & find it. We saw them later and he ended up paying a taxi driver to lead him over to the drop off site, which is just a dimly lit parking area near or underneath the nearby highway...make sure to try to find the location and actually drive there ahead of time if you have enough time. Would save a ton of nervous frustration! We allowed plenty of time, and still ended up cutting it close. Airport itself is very small and easy to get through. hope this helps!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,178 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is returning Rented Car at Florence Airport Advisable?

Returning a car to the Florence AIrport is easy. Do NOT risk the ZTL's to drop in the city.

Singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is returning Rented Car at Florence Airport Advisable?

Thanks for sharing your experience Kat. We will definitely plan to return during the daylight hours and leave a buffer of at least an hour or two just to find the drop off! We will not be catching a flight from there fortunately. I've read that its a flat rate to take a taxi into town from the airport.

dathecoast - noted the ZTLs. They seem to come up everywhere so the airport looks like the way to go.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is returning Rented Car at Florence Airport Advisable?

You r very welcome. Have a wonderful holiday. Florence is a beautiful city & we loved it.

Waltham...
Level Contributor
298 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is returning Rented Car at Florence Airport Advisable?

the airport is the best way.take a taxi to the city if needed

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is returning Rented Car at Florence Airport Advisable?

Here is a link to an article on the Slow Travel Italy site that does a great job on describing the roads leading to the Florence airport: slowtrav.com/italy/…sv_florence_airport.htm We used it in May to return a rental car. It was perfect until the very end when it seems to indicate that you need to turn right into the airport (which is what our Garmin was telling us). Instead of turning right, you need to turn left under the highway and follow small white rectangular signs that says "Rental Car" or something similar (on our first two tries to find the rental car lot, we assumed that the signs were pointing to an off-site rental car company). It took us 3 tries and 45 minutes to find the return lot. If we had known it was not on the airport property, it would have been much quicker. Good luck!

Jordan Valley
Level Contributor
419 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is returning Rented Car at Florence Airport Advisable?

We have opted to return our car in August to the airport although we shall be staying in Florence two days before returning to Rome by train. We are returning our car during the day. As you recommend returning to the airport can you give us instructions to find the drop off.

Thank you.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is returning Rented Car at Florence Airport Advisable?

I think the previous msge from dustydog09 described it the best. Finding airport easy but rental return is off property. Even after we got back, I never could find a street location for the return...perhaps when you pick up your car the persons at the rental company could tell you a street address. We picked up out car in Venice & we did have trouble figuring out how to get the digital display to English. So never thought to ask about the return specifically. Paperwork just said Florece airport. Safe travels to you.

Singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is returning Rented Car at Florence Airport Advisable?

dustydog thanks a lot for your sharing those directions!

Singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is returning Rented Car at Florence Airport Advisable?

I was able to find this in Google streetview -does it look familar to any of you? I'm hoping their imagery is up to date!

https:/…car-rental.jpg

These are the coordinates: 43.80022, 11.19693